Live Writer won't download style

Topics: Controls
Mar 21, 2008 at 11:12 PM
Edited Mar 21, 2008 at 11:28 PM
I'm having a slight problem with Windows Live Writer. When I set up the account, Writer cannot download the "webblog publishing interface" from my blog site. I have no custom front pages (though I do have one custom page).

I have recently been running two (identical) images of my blog - one of an IIS 5.1 server, and the other on an IIS 7 server. I can connect successfully to the IIS 7 version of my blog (but only locally), but the IIS 5.1 version has difficulties download the weblog interface (both locally and remotely). I'm guessing firewall... ?

If there's no direct fix, can I enter a custom URL ? If so, which provider do I choose from the list in Live Writer ?

Thanks for your help.
Mar 23, 2008 at 2:27 AM
Edited Mar 23, 2008 at 2:44 AM
What about the delayed-time-between-post-and-appearance issue?
A long shot maybe, but this is a snippet from Windows Live Help

... blog server delays the time between when posts are published and when they appear on the blog
Some blog servers ... have a configurable time delay that can prevent Writer from detecting the blog's style.

Now there's no such BE.NET "delay feature" but several time zone/offset issues are known if using WLW & BE.NET.
So maybe WLW sets the temporary post date hours ahead and causes this trouble?

Firewall doesn't sound like a possible cause to me, since it's plain HTTP traffic.

Does changing your server time offset to e.g -20 though? (before you let WLW update the style)
Mar 23, 2008 at 10:14 AM
Edited Mar 23, 2008 at 10:15 AM
Sorry - its fixed now. The problem (I think) was related to another issue I was having, involving my server.

See here if you're interested: http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=5812

Once this problem was solved, everything connected fine again.