Spam Filter Counters Not Incrementing

Topics: Controls
Feb 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I am using BE.Net on two sites (same server however) with .Net 4.0 and am very happy with this great free product made available to us.

As the discussion name suggests, no matter what I've tried in terms of prioritizing Akisment and StopForumSpam filters, the counters remain at zero.  I've read other discussions that appear to focus on 1.6.  I considered it could be as easy as "turning it on" but I've looked all over the admin panel for a setting to enable automated comment filtering, but I cannot find this setting.

I do have an Akismet API key configured and it is showing correctly.  If I enable comment moderation the comments correctly sit in the pending bucket until I approve them.  Obviously though, I'm hoping to allow the filtering to do this for me.

Any suggestions for what settings I should check would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Is anyone else having this issue?  Am I misunderstanding how to configure the anti-spam extensions?  I see no option in the dashboard to allow for "auto" moderation by the filters, unless I'm missing something.  I'm sure this isn't a widespread problem because then I assume a lot more people would have brought it up by now.

What can I do to troubleshoot this?

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:14 PM

Same issue here, not sure why. It worked on 1.6 and all that, but with the same settings it's useless now. I'm getting a fair stream of spam getting past the Recapture, but Akismet is no longer working.

I'm on a cluster so I can't block based on IP address if that makes a difference.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:59 PM

If Akismet enabled but doesn't work, first check your log file to see if Akismet throwing any errors. Make sure that Logger extension is enabled in the extensions list, then check "Logger.txt" in the App_Data directory for errors.

Feb 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Thanks. Can't find a general log file, but there is "Logger.txt". In my case, here below is the last of that file. Note that as it's cluster (Rackspace Cloud, Medium Trust etc), the IP address seen here is always the same (the actual IP address is in the request, but you have to query for that, which obviously BE's not going to do (unless I hack it).

I guess these dates are American format, but I've had spam subsequent to these (eg today, 23/02/2011, Feb 23rd), and all my counters etc are Zero, so this is having no effect, whatever it means. No obvious errors in here though.... and it used to work. Note that if it black-lists the IP address then that's going to be a bad idea as that's the address from which everything comes: it's a cluster and that's how it works. Perhaps this is only a problem for clusters, because of this?

IP added to Black list:
Date: 2/3/2011 4:22:01 PM
Contents Below
Removed old filter :ef83603e-58f0-467b-96b1-4fa9f95555cf:Block:IP:Equals:
Date: 2/3/2011 4:22:01 PM
Contents Below
IP added to Black list:
Date: 2/8/2011 4:27:45 PM
Contents Below
Removed old filter :c12e3dfa-9e84-4cf4-84f2-cb23bf2e0af0:Block:IP:Equals:
Date: 2/8/2011 4:27:45 PM
Contents Below
IP added to Black list:

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:07 PM

The logging extension is enabled, but I have no Logger.txt file in my App_Data folder.

In addition to your comment about Akismet throwing errors, would the same be true of StopForumSpam?  Neither counter has incremented since I installed.  I'm going over the installation instructions again to see if I have permissions wrong on App_Data.  As a side note, I have my install configured to use SQL Server.

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:31 PM
Edited Feb 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I've changed the AppPool for my site to use the NetworkService user, and given that user write permission to the App_Data folder.  I then posted a comment (after logging out) on my blog.  The comment was immediately approved without being flagged as spam; and the counters for Akismet and StopForumSpam remain at 0.  Furthermore there is no logger.txt file in my App_Data folder.  (I set App_Code to the same permissions and was able to edit an extension successfully, so believe the permissions are ok).

Is there anything I can do on the site itself that is known to write an entry to this logger.txt file so that I can verify my permissions are correct?  Either way as philw pointed out, it appears the counters are not working, which is really the main issue I see here, as all the spam comments are making their way onto the site.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Feb 24, 2011 at 3:00 AM

One easy thing you can try is to delete MetaExtension.xml from the app_data/datastore/extensions. If on SqlServer, you would need to delete records from [be_DataStoreSettings] where extension id like MetaExtension. This should reset counters and extension settings for anti-spam filters.

Feb 24, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Thanks... I changed the standard labels so I only get about one spam every other day, so I made that deletion, but I'll need to wait a day or two to know if they still want to sell me fake watches or whatever garbage it is.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:23 PM

I have deleted the entry from the be_DataStoreSettings as suggested.  I'll have to wait and see if future comments are correctly flagged.  If not, I can't think of anything else to do short of reinstalling from scratch.  I upgraded from 1.6 in the database sense, but went through the actual file portion of it from scratch, so I don't think that would be the issue.

For clarity, does unchecking the  "Moderate Comments" mean that the spam filters will attempt to moderate them?  In 1.6 I want to say there was a setting to "auto-moderate" whereas in 2.0 I only see Moderate (manually), or don't.

Feb 25, 2011 at 2:31 PM

My symptoms match yours, except I have the XML back end in this case.

It seems that comments are automatically approved - perhaps I have the wrong setting somewhere. This was an upgrade from 1.6 where it was all working.

The spam is from people who do bother to navigate through the recaptcha, it's after than I expect the services to check the stuff. As it is, I just have to keep an eye on it and delete it as it comes in. I can't bar the IP addresses as I'm on a cluster and they all appear to come from the same (local) IP address.

Feb 28, 2011 at 2:13 PM

I'm happy to report that rtur's recommendation of deleting that MetaExtension entry from the database has fixed the problem.  I got a spam comment yesterday that was successfully caught by Akismet., and the counter went up.  Awesome!  Thanks for all the help.  Philw, I'm assuming if you deleted that MetaExtension.xml as rtur suggested, you will hopefully get the same success.

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:23 PM

That seems to have been the problem for me as well.

I upgraded from version 1.6 to running on SQL Server, and after deleting the MetaExtensions row from be_DataStoreSettings it finally started checking :)

May 4, 2011 at 1:24 PM

A huge THANK YOU to everyone on this thread and especially to RTUR (as always) for helping me resolve my spam filtering issue.  My TypePadFilter was working, but Akismet and StopForumSpam were not, with the counters not incrementing.  Removing the MetaExtension entry did the trick.