Users and Post Lists empty in version 2.0 with SQL server

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Feb 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM
Edited Feb 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM

So, I'm a brand new BE user, and I'm hoping someone can refer me to where this problem has been solved before, since I haven't been able to find a relevant post. I've installed BlogEngine.NET into an empty folder, made it an application, and replace the web.config with the version provided for MS SQL server. I've run the SQL scripts in my database, updated my connection string in the web.config, and given the SQL user used by BE the db_datareader and db_datawriter roles in my new database. I can see my new blog and there are no error messages visible in my browser.

When I create a new user, I can see the user being created in the table be_users. When I create a new post, I can see the post on the front page. I can sign in as my newly-created user with no problems. However, the posts aren't shown on the "posts" tab, and no users are being shown on the "users" tab.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to troubleshoot this, or can anyone refer me to some good discussions of this in the past?

Thank you,

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I'm disappointed by the lack of responses. A possible solution seems to be to rename the .htm files in the /templates/ folder to end in .aspx, but I don't understand why I would need to do this, or why this is required but not documented. Any explanation would be appreciated.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:21 PM

It depends on IIS configuration. If you look at web.config you'll find these two lines (one in httphandlers and one in handlers):

<add verb="*" path="*.htm" type="System.Web.StaticFileHandler"/>
<add name="Html" path="*.htm" verb="*" type="System.Web.StaticFileHandler" resourceType="Unspecified" preCondition="integratedMode"/>
Make sure you have them, this is how IIS knows to serve .htm pages as static files. If you do have them but it does not work anyway, check with FireBug if you have errors in the response.

Jun 2, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Thank you!