Leveraging BlogEngine.Core

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Feb 15, 2011 at 11:57 AM
Edited Feb 15, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I maintain a website running BE 2.0. I now want to implement a new function for this website where I have a list of male dogs with some data identifying the dog, the owner and the breeder.

I then want to add three pages: 

1. A page for entering / editing data in the list.
  2. A page for showing the data in a list.
  3. A page for showing the data in a details form.

Sofar my question is, how much of the functionalitet located in BE.Core can I actually use for this? I have a hunch that I should be able to simplify my Data Access Layer greatly by implementing BusinessBase. 

But is that even possible, and what do I need to do as a bare minimum?

Also, I think I need to add a data store provider, anything I need to know in that regard?

Feb 16, 2011 at 1:57 AM
Edited Oct 24, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Using xml you can do the following:

1. A page for entering / editing data in the list.  

Make text boxes to collect the data.  When submit save it to an xml file.

A page for showing the data in a list.

Use Gridview or a datarepeater or custom code to read the xml file to display it.

1. A page for showing the data in a details form.

Same thing for the data in a list just different format.

Will post code later for you give me 2 or 3 days.

Java Blog

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:29 AM

This can be done fairly easy with an Microsoft Access Database, I have several Access databases on my hiking club website for hikes and such. you can setup so it can be filtered or searched also.

Feb 16, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Thank you for the replies. I have no problems with the layout and logic of the three pages. What I am really interested in knowning is how much of BEs Core functionality I can leverage for this. 

I would prefer to use as much of the existing functionality as possible, as this will give me the best possible integration into the engine.

I could isolated the entire solution in a separate web app, but I would much rather integrate it tightly into BE. 

So as I see it, I need to implement a class that inherits from BusinessBase and I need to implement a XmlBlogProvider (since the site is using XML for data storage) for persisting this class. 

What I want to know is, if there is anything else I might need? 

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM

Good luck but you will have a much easier time with an Access database and VWD Express, no need to try to integrate with BE.  The VWD interface will let you setup a view, sorting and searching your data.

Here is 1 example of hikes from a database sorted by the headings.

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:19 PM
Edited Feb 16, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Yes, I see what you mean, but I despise Access. It is not fit for anything serious and certainly not as backing store for web pages. 

Sorry, but that is my opinion. 

I got all the stuff I need in the BE core, I just need to know how I leverage that best. 

The GUI stuff, I have no problems with. I work with software development in my day job, although web development is a remote second to my usual work. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 4:24 PM

When VWD interfaces and supports SQL_BE I will probably switch over to it for the hikes database.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:02 AM

Best thing to do if using xml as the data store is to start a new core.

MyCore and then copy the Page.cs and Pages.cs from the blogengine.core  modifiy it to your needs.

Keep it seperate from the blogengine.core because in the future when you want to update all you have to do

is drop the MyCore.dll in to the bin folder and thats it.  No manually updating the Blogengine core then recompilying and etc.

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:30 AM

Hmm... yes something like that. I wasn't planning on modifying the Core though, for all the reasons you state. 

But I do want to use as much of the core as I can for providing me with "ready-to-use" data access and business logic.