how to edit layout

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Mar 26, 2008 at 1:30 AM
hi im relatively new to asp.net and just added dotnetblogengine to my site but now i need to learn how to edit the layout so i cat add other page to the top menu
Mar 26, 2008 at 5:43 PM

wolfman2g1 wrote:
hi im relatively new to asp.net and just added dotnetblogengine to my site but now i need to learn how to edit the layout so i cat add other page to the top menu

Why not try reading the documentation: http://www.dotnetblogengine.net/wiki/
Mar 26, 2008 at 7:08 PM
Documentation isn't took much help i am a novice so a lot of the stuff i don't understand i need something that is pretty much a laymans explanation. not mention i have had so many problems just getting this to work on go daddy that i am afraid to try anything on my own for fear that it may quit working. it is already throwing random exceptions from time to time. but i do need to work out the bugs and bridge the gap in what i don't know because i need to add more apps like a forum and eventually a trouble ticket system and a shopping cart.
Mar 26, 2008 at 7:08 PM
Documentation isn't took much help i am a novice so a lot of the stuff i don't understand i need something that is pretty much a laymans explanation. not mention i have had so many problems just getting this to work on go daddy that i am afraid to try anything on my own for fear that it may quit working. it is already throwing random exceptions from time to time. but i do need to work out the bugs and bridge the gap in what i don't know because i need to add more apps like a forum and eventually a trouble ticket system and a shopping cart.
Mar 26, 2008 at 7:28 PM
Hi Lois Wakeman,

I do this all time, find the theme your using in the Theme folder and edit the Site.master file.

<div id="menu">
<ul>
<li><asp:HyperLink ID="HyperLink1" NavigateUrl="~/default.aspx" runat="server">Home</asp:HyperLink></li>
<li><asp:HyperLink ID="hlUnique" NavigateUrl="~/somelink.aspx" runat="server">Some Link</asp:HyperLink></li>

Make sure your Hyperlink ID properties is unique, you can called it anything you want example ID="hlMylink"

Gavin :-)
blog.i386.cm
Mar 26, 2008 at 7:32 PM
Edited Mar 26, 2008 at 7:37 PM

glyons wrote:
Hi Lois Wakeman,

I do this all time, find the theme your using in the Theme folder and edit the Site.master file.

<div id="menu">
<ul>
<li><asp:HyperLink ID="HyperLink1" NavigateUrl="~/default.aspx" runat="server">Home</asp:HyperLink></li>
<li><asp:HyperLink ID="hlUnique" NavigateUrl="~/somelink.aspx" runat="server">Some Link</asp:HyperLink></li>

Make sure your Hyperlink ID properties is unique, you can called it anything you want example ID="hlMylink"

blog.i386.cm

Sweet. thanks thats what i've been searching for nice simple answer. does anyone know why i get random exceptions? i don't know the cause of the error becuase i didnt configure the web.conifg file but i am just curious if anyone else gets these random errors
Mar 27, 2008 at 8:35 AM
Kind of difficult to help without an idea of an error message.

Are you using a local machine or hosted on the web ?

Have you tried....

Firsty, changing Custom Errors to 'Off' in the web.config

Or

Running it through Visual Studio in debug mode