Installed but getting 500 Internal Server Error

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Feb 23, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Hi,

I have FTP'd the blog to a subdirectory on my domain so I can test it first.

But when I try and run http://www.caniplay.co.uk/blog/default.aspx I get 500 Internal server error.

IIS is set to ASP 4 and have checked the subdirectories for write access and they are 777.

The only thing I can't work out looking through the trouble shooting is setting the directory to a application, don't have to that with any other ASPX code I have hosted so wasn't sure on that one.

Am hosting with cyberhostpro and they have a installation thing for BlogEngin but it's on 1.6.

Any ideas ?

Cheers,

Dave

Coordinator
Feb 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM

A couple of things to try ....

In the web.config file, change the "mode" of the customErrors tag to "Off".

<customErrors mode="Off">

You could try replacing the Application_Error code in global.asax with the one I posted here on Nov 9th.

One of these two things might give you a real error message, rather than the general 500 Internal Server Error you're seeing now.

Feb 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM
Edited Feb 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Hi,

Right got a error now. Changing the customerrors to Off didn't help. But then inside the setup folder I found a file called ASP_4_0_Web.Config), uploaded that and made the changes and now I have a proper error.

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.

Dave