Multi-blog Feature

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Mar 4, 2011 at 5:38 PM

I have just installed BlogEngine to my existing ASP.NET MVC application. I used SQLProvider to use aspnet membership roles and users. Everything is working perfectly until I found that BlogEngine doesn't support multiple blogs as of now. 

I was able to tweak some codes so that users can see only their posts when logged into the application because the requirement for my project was that only the author can see their blogs for now. In the future, the requirement might be changed such that only some assigned people within a category or a role can see the blogs. So fare we liked every feature offered by the BlogEngine.

I was wondering if the multi-blog feature will be added the BE soon and we would be able export our existing data to the new upgrade. If so, how long might it take to get that feature available? I have to decide on one of the blog software soon and now I am really confused what to use.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciable.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 10, 2011 at 1:51 AM

Did you ever find another blog software to suit your purpose?  I'm in the same dilemma, looking through prior posts it appears that several years ago multiple blog support was in the works, but still as of date nothing here,  so sadly I don’t really think there are any timelines set for it yet..

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:14 AM

Yeah BE doesn't have any multi blog feature as of yet now. But I found two links that offers multiblogging which is done on the older version of BE and uses LINQ to SQL. I found that either there should be a be_posts table per user or every user will have a folder in the IIS. In my case there will be more than 1000 users so neither approach is the best.

Here is the two links that I found that uses BlogEngine

http://theruntime.com/blogs/jacob/archive/2009/04/02/multi-blog-obsession.aspx (http://theruntime.com/blogs/jacob/archive/2009/04/02/multi-blog-obsession.aspx)

http://biztron.net/post/2010/03/11/BlogEngine-Multi-Blog-Dog-Food.aspx

There is one more called Sueetie that has YAF integration with BlogEngine. You can look for subtext, atomsite as well.

However, we decided to stay with the current version of BlogEngine. Since it has most of the features we need and is very flexible and updated from time to time. On the top of that it supports ASP NET Membership configuration which is a must for my application.

I hope you'll find the right one soon.

Mar 10, 2011 at 3:46 AM

Hello,

Thank you for the info,  I looked at subtext, but it is never updated and doesn't even install correctly on iis7.

As you are using BE,  how are you currently handling the multi-blog or are you not?

Thanks,

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:08 AM

Actually I am not handling multi blog.  Our requirement is that one user should not be able to see other users blog unless they are given permission to. So I have modified some codes that allows only the post author or admin to their post as of now.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:14 AM

oh,  thanks for the info,  perhaps you might be able to suggest a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish..

I have a site with many subdomains, 

i.e.
city1.mtsite.com
city2.mtsite.com
city3.mtsite.com

They are all driven by the same one site, i would like each site to contain a different blog for the city.  can you think of a way to accomplish this without multiblog support?

Thanks,

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Will they share the same database? One way I can think of is to have three installation of BlogEngine per site. I have read this kind of approach in some of the discussions. 

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:31 AM

Hi, yes they will share the same database, and there are over 100 cities so a separate installation of blogengine for each city is what I am afraid of..

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:37 AM

Ohh. Are you using aspnet membership users from the existing database to integrate into blogengine? Otherwise you can try Subtext. I was able to install properly into IIS7 but it didn't support aspnet membership. I was not sure how to do multiblogging using it as I didn't get any documentation in details anywhere about it. 

There is one more called AtomSite but I haven't tried it yet. 

Hope BlogEngine with multi-blog feature will release soon.

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:38 AM

Hi,

yes I'm using aspnet membership, thanks,

Mar 10, 2011 at 4:42 AM

If I find one, I will let you know. But I don't think I will be looking for it right now. Anyways all the best for your multi - blog search.

Mar 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM

okay thanks, and if I find one I will also let you know..  thanks for all yoiur help..