Blog Site Crashed

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Mar 14, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Automatic Windows Update installed kb 2481109 on Wednesday morning. I have uninstalled that update as a troubleshooting step. We recently added a second IP to the primary nic in the webserver to host another website. I removed that ip and site and rebooted as a troubleshooting step.

We are running BlogEngine 1.4 based on a SQLExpress database. 

When we turn on the site and the first connection is made to the site the w3wp.exe process reaches 70%. When we try to browse the site either from outside or from the server itself, (, we only get a blank white page and the browser is waiting for the site to come up. It stays like that indefinitely. Other than what was stated above, there were no changes to the configuration or the passwords. 

We have had hundreds of spam comments posted to our site for the past couple of days. I have manually deleted them from the sql database using Sql Management Studio from the postcomments table.

We think there is something in the database that is causing the site to communicate with bots and is bringing our blog down. Our primary site: is constantly up and never goes down.

Mar 14, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Your site is returning 404 not found. As a troubleshooting, you can try to open up page that has nothing to do with database or even application, like If this doesn't work - and looks like it doesn't - you likely have issue with IIS configuration or connectivity in general. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 9:07 PM

The problem has been resolved. Thank you.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:47 AM

So, fill us in on how the problem was resolved please.

Mar 23, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Initially, the blog came back after antivirus software was uninstalled and the server was reset a number of times. However, it has since crashed again. It appears to be having trouble connecting to the database.