Tag Index

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:40 AM

My  tag cloud is getting pretty big, I was thinking I'd like to organise tags perhaps with an A-Z click index and # for anything out with A-Z, would any body be interested in this and if so what would be your thoughts?

A-Z or something else, it would be good to know before starting to code it.

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:52 AM

Should have mentioned this, the index would only kick in if your tag cloud gets over a certain size.

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:55 AM

I would like to see a dropdown list so the tags would be hidden, or only have some of them visible until clicked on.

Mar 19, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Thanks for that Gerry, a drop down sounds good, I had been thinking of a visible A-Z but that would consume space, I like what you are saying... would the drop down be A-Z?

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:00 AM

Sorry, Jerry

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:09 AM

What would you suggest for the default display? Show the # for tags starting with numbers and such like and drop down for everything else?

Mar 19, 2011 at 1:37 AM

I think most folks have only A-Z tags, I know I do, so maybe displayed A-Z but limit it to dip[laying 10 tags and a click for more.

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:48 AM

That's it done, I think.

Example

It will default to showing the first tag group and thereafter whichever group letter is the current selection.

I will post the code once it's been tested a bit more.

Mar 20, 2011 at 2:21 PM

Very nice!  I am looking forward to using it. Thanks

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I've posted the code and instructions to bloggersonline under controls.

I didn't put code in to auto show the index if the tag cloud is over a certain size, you get the index as standard, something for another time perhaps.

Apr 5, 2011 at 5:15 AM

I have downloaded your tag control, extracted it and put it the App_Code/Controls with the other controls.

I have tried this on 2 sites, with BE releases 2.0.035 and 2.0.047 and when I tried to add it to my default page it was not listed in the Administration drop down control list, any ideas?

Apr 5, 2011 at 10:13 AM
Edited Apr 5, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I probably should have made that part clearer, the natural assumption would be to use it as a widget.

When I was playing around with this I needed the flexibility of just a control, something I could drop into a tab panel.

Just to make sure everything is working, I've just downloaded the control and dropped it into a fresh install of BE 2 in App_Code/Controls.

At a suitable insertion point (most likely in theme site master) use the syntax for controls <blog:cTagCloud ID="TagCloud1" runat="Server" />

It's probably a good idea to make a widget version, I'll have a look at doing that later and post when done.

If it's suitable as just a control, make sure you have a recent download, I made some changes a day or so after uploading the original version.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Thanks, got it working now but it seems it either has to go at the top or bottom of the widgetzone, nothing in between., in the sidebar.  I will be looking forward to the widget version.  I like your website.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Where does one insert 

Browse posts by tag

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Hi Jerry

I've made a very basic widget for this, modelled after the search widget.

I've posted the zip and instructions to bloggersonline, this will allow you to add a title.

If you use the widget, just make sure and remove the control reference from the site master page.

If you want to use the control rather than the widget, then put it inside a div in the theme master page and precede the control with a header tag for your title.

<div>
<h3>Your Title</h3>
<blog:cTagCloud ID="TagCloud1" runat="Server" />
</div>

For styling purposes:

The select has id tagIndex and the clouds are UL's with class tagcloud.

Apr 5, 2011 at 2:51 PM
Edited Apr 5, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Thanks for the Widget however it does not seem to work, it actually lists all the posts by letter and not in a dropdown box.

See here at the bottom of the sidebar.

http://www.blogengine.testing.sahcinfo.org/

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM

The new site is looking good.

I'm not quite sure what you mean though, when I checked this the drop down has defaulted to letter A showing tags starting with A and clicking other letters in the drop down seems to be showing the correct letter groupings.

When you click on a tag from the letter grouping, the tagged posts show and the tag list stays with the selected letter.

Remember, you can edit the default title.

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I refreshed and it is working great, thanks again.