Am I stupid

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Mar 31, 2011 at 2:10 PM

I was recomended to use so I downloaded and installed by watching one of the videos, but it just wont seem to work, so I deleted it all, restarted and it all again, still no joy, I have repeated this several times now and still no joy, error is to do with the web.config file, so I started to have a closer look,.  I noticed that in the video it tells you to edit the sys.config file, for the connection string, to allow for future releases, I cannot see this file anywhere, I am running the following:

Windows server 2003

Any help would be appreciated, is this version compatible with ASP.NET v4

Mar 31, 2011 at 2:18 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2011 at 2:18 PM

What errors are you receiving?  Did you read the readme in the setup folder?

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:03 PM

The usual none helpful ones

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

Mar 31, 2011 at 4:05 PM

So turn on custom errors as indicated and see what the error is.

Apr 1, 2011 at 7:14 AM

I know what the error is, it has to do with the connection string and this missing sys.config file, I have re-downloaded the files and this sys.config file is not there, I will work it out for myself...

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Where do you've picked up the name sys.config? You have to edit the web.config file. You can find it in the root of your application folder. Depending on the storage (xml, database, etc) you have to replace it with one from the setup/... folders. There is a readme file in each of the setup/... folders that tells you what to do. And if you disable custom error messages you'll get more detailed error information.

Cheers, Rene

Apr 3, 2011 at 7:03 PM

The sys.config file I was on about was taken from the video tutorial, anyways, I download 1.6 and not v2 and it installed and I got the home page, all working, so I thought, I created my self a user and gave admin rights, as per the documentation, logged in, then checked it all ok, so I deleted the admin account.  I logged back in and tried to add a post and it gave me this error:

Ooops! An unexpected error has occurred.

This one's down to me! Please accept my apologies for this - I'll see to it that the developer responsible for this happening is given 20 lashes (but only after he or she has fixed this problem).

Error Details:

Url :

Raw Url : /BlogEngine/admin/Pages/Add_entry.aspx

Message : A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (ctl00$cphAdmin$txtContent$TinyMCE1$txtContent="

Source : System.Web

StackTrace : at System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateString(String value, String collectionKey, RequestValidationSource requestCollection)

at System.Web.HttpRequest.ValidateNameValueCollection(NameValueCollection nvc, RequestValidationSource requestCollection)

at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form()

at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Item(String key)

at BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.CompressionModule.context_PostReleaseRequestState(Object sender, EventArgs e) in D:\Projects\Be-1610\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Web\HttpModules\CompressionModule.cs:line 62

at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

TargetSite : Void ValidateString(System.String, System.String, System.Web.Util.RequestValidationSource)