XML to SQL server DB... is it too late

Mar 31, 2011 at 5:52 PM

Hi all,

I created a secure site for a client of mine and integrated BE 2 as part of their requirements. I created a new theme to follow the sites branding and as part of UAT's a select number of users have created some posts etc. Now thinking about the amount of users that will be granted access and the amount of posts etc. going forward I feel I should move from using XML for data store to using a SQL server DB.

Is this now possible bearing in mind BE is now integrated into my site, sitting in the root directory along with the rest of my site?

If so how can I go about moving to SQL server DB?

Mar 31, 2011 at 6:03 PM

I would move to SQL_CE, it is file based, all you need to do would be to change out the web.config, use the one under SQL_BE in the setup file and follow the easy instructions to setup the database.

I use it on my hiking website with several hundred users, it works great, I used to use Vista Express and I think SQL_CE is faster.  I reentered several hundred new users when I changed over.

You will have to renter the users which is not an issue it goes very quickly.  I changed the password to clear to hashed to help some users that have an issue with reseting their password.

Be sure to setup any roles first so that when you enter the users you can select the role you desire.

Apr 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Jerry,

Thanks for the advice I will give that a go!