Update advice

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:35 PM

I am currently using BE 2.0.0.35 on sahcinfo.org, I have a test site at blogengine.testing.sahcinfo.org using BE 2.0.47 to be sure everything is working before I change over to the newer release.

I am seeking a clean way to merge the two at sahcinfo.org.  

Should I just write over the files on sahcinfo.org, I am leery of deleting all the files and uploading everything in case something goes wrong and the site would be down.  I cannot afford to have the website down as it is my hiking club website with hundreds of members that access it on a regular daily hourerly basis.

In the past I have pointed to my test site from sahcinfo.org to the test site from the control panel.  This does work somewhat but I would have to change all the menu links and other links I have added to reflect blogengine.testing.sahcinfo.org.

How do others accomplish this task?

Thank you

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM
Edited Apr 4, 2011 at 5:08 PM

Delete all the files off the server.

Upload a clean brand new BE to the server. 

Then upload your App_Data files and folders (posts, files, etc)

It should work easily.

I just upgraded from 1.6 and the above finally worked. Other ways break the software.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM

I do what cardiologist does, except for I leave the App_Data folder so that I know that the permissions stay in tact and just copy everything up without overwriting App_Data. If you have any custom extensions you'll want to save them first, too, and then reload them up to your server.

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM

What I have done in the past is have a test site up with the new release and have it working.  Then I point my domain to the test site through the control panel.  After awhile I either delete the original  files from within the control panel and copy or move them from the test site to the original site.  Or I just delete the original website and rename the test site to the original name. I would hate to delete everything without a test site backup.  Just nervous I guess.  Thanks.