BlogEngine.NET 2.0 - Admin Menu Missing

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Controls
Apr 5, 2011 at 9:51 PM

I'm struggling with the same issue I had with version 1.6 - after the authentication the admin menu/links are not shown with IE 8 oder IE 9. But it works with Firefox! I tried several different machines (Win 7, Vista, Windows Server 2008 R2, etc.), but still the same issue - it doesn't work with Internet Explorer!

Any hint how I can solve this really painful issue?

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:12 AM

It sounds like the common denominator in your equation is your installation of BE. What's it running on? Did you completely delete all folders (minus app_data) when you upgraded and then installed everything fresh?

Apr 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Windows Server 2008 R2. Fresh installation, no upgrade. I installed BE on two different servers as well (both 2008 R2) with the same result.

Apr 6, 2011 at 12:39 PM

I would check to see if you are actually logged in with IE.  For example, if you log in under Firefox and go to one of the control panel pages, copy the control page URL to your clipboard.  Then go to IE, log-in, and after logging in, try navigating directly to that control panel page by putting that URL into the IE address bar.  If you get kicked back to the login page, that means you were never really logged in with IE.

There's been some discussions here in the past where a person couldn't log in via IE, but could log in via another browser.  I don't remember all the reasons.  One reason could be because of IE security settings blocking the cookie.  You could try searching the Discussions here.

Although you've tried installed BE on two different servers, have you been testing logging in with the same installation of IE ?  Or have your tests been using IE on different machines?  Is it a corporate environment with group policies?  If so, it could be some "strict" policy that IE adheres to, that another browser like Firefox wouldn't usually follow.