slow content load

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Apr 7, 2011 at 1:47 PM
we're running BlogEngine.NET version on our in-house webserver running under under WIN2000/ IIS5 & using SQL Server 2000 as a data source. We've had this up & running on our website for about a year with no problems. Then about 3 days ago our content-related pages have begun loading very slowly (the admin section continues to run fine). When I restart the application, the load times speed up for about 3-4 minutes & then they start slowing down again. I've gone through your knowledge base & tried every proposed solution & none have worked. I've disabled/enabled http compression & enabled/disabled the "Compress WebResource.axd" option with no change. I've also tried flushing the cache in IIS with no luck. All the documentation I've reviewed indicates that the initial load of a page is slow but subsequent loads are faster - due to caching. In our case, it's the other way around. The performance issues seem to surface when accessing the cached content. We've made no adjustments to either the application or the the web server itself that might account for this issue. Can anybody think of a scenario that would lead to this because frankly, I'm stumped.

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:43 AM

I'm not sure, but in these cases, it doesn't hurt to try disabling Extensions and/or removing widgets -- just temporarily.  A misbehaving widget or extension could theoretically be causing a problem.  You could also try temporarily switching to a different theme, in case it's theme related.

Apr 8, 2011 at 8:32 PM
Edited Apr 8, 2011 at 8:37 PM

The culprit turned out to be one of the green boxes displayed on the right-hand side of the screen. When we eliminated 2 of them, it seemed to do the trick. I’ve been reloading the screen constantly over the course of the last half-hour & load time remains lightning-fast. It seems that some part of the content in one of those boxes didn’t mix well with the way the application caches data or content. I’m still not sure of the specific nature of this negative interaction – but for now, we’re golden!!

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:10 PM
Edited Apr 19, 2011 at 12:55 PM

Excuse me gvenzke...

Actually I have the same problem:

Our blog suddently was really really slowly and we dont know why.

What do you mean with "The culprit turned out to be one of the green boxes displayed on the right-hand side of the screen".

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM

Hello..  had the same problem and because we activated the HTTP Compression.

Thanks Ben!

Jul 2, 2011 at 7:29 AM

+1. Thanks ghporras. I was getting 10-15 second load times on each page. I turned off HTTP compression in BE 2.5 and page loads are now instant. I also noticed that compression was enabled in IIS on my host provider. I wonder if it was attempting to compress the content twice. In any case, problem appears to be solved. I'll keep an eye on it and see if it's consistent over time.

Aug 1, 2011 at 6:09 PM

Dear all, the issue might be caused by the IIS recycle time, as it also start the page initial start again all the cache. This issue mostly happen in a shared hosting such as GoDaddy(shared plan and 4GH specific), Arvixe or DiscountASP as it interval of recycling the IIS are very short this cause the BlogEngine to initial start to load from the begining. This can be solved with ping to the website as the IIS recycle might still found it busy with the trafic still on, but it's a matter of time before the web host provider block the ping address. Already tested myself, I think this is some serious issue which BlogEngine need to overcome with