Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Apr 9, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Hi all

I am looking for an ASP.NET multi-blogging engine that uses the ASP Membership Framework and stores the data in SQL Server. What I am hoping to do is create a "sign up and blog" website for a small online social community. BE.net looks like it is very close to filling this requirement, however it needs multiple blog support. In addition I am not sure if it would work for the "sign up and blog" component.

Is this kind of thing a possibility?

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM

As of now, the only way to have multiple blogs would be to install BE once for each blog.  And make each blog installation its own application in IIS.

The next version of BE will support multiple blogs in one installation.  So you can create separate blogs for each person, without having to install BE again and again.  Creating a new blog will require an admin to create a new blog.  This process is easy, and requires a little human intervention.  The process of creating a new blog could be automated, but this type of automation won't be included in the next version of BE out-of-the-box.  This type of automation could be manually coded into your blog ... since BE is open source, the source code is available to you.

Apr 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Hi Ben

Well this is certainly exciting news. Do you have any idea what the timeline might be on the next version of BE?

My online community has about 100 users, and I have been giving some thought to the "sign up and blog" component. It may make more sense to have some sort of approval process, so the admin thing might be a good idea. On the other hand, I could try my hand at coding. Who knows; it might be fun!

Thanks

Coordinator
Apr 12, 2011 at 12:43 PM

The next version of BE will be released in June of this year ... so about 2 months from now.  It will include the multiple blog support.