This project is read-only.

Get weird chartaters when pressing Dashboard

Topics: Controls
Apr 10, 2011 at 11:44 PM

I get these weird chartaters when i press the dashboard button.


I am using sql 2008, can you please help me?


Please see the following link for an screen shot.


What do i do to fix this?


Apr 11, 2011 at 10:49 AM

First, we need to find what the error is.  To do that, there's 1 or more things that need to be done.

In the web.config file (blog root), you'll find 1 or 2 HTTP modules for "CompressionModule".  Both lines are the same and look like:

<add name="CompressionModule" type="BlogEngine.Core.Web.HttpModules.CompressionModule, BlogEngine.Core"/>

Either comment out those lines by wrapping them in <!--  ......  --> or temporarily remove the lines.

After that, try pulling up your blog, go to the Dashboard and see if you get an error again.  Hopefully you'll get some meaningful error details.  At this point, you shouldn't get the garbage characters anymore (the ones you had in your screenshot).

The 2nd thing you may need to do is change the <customErrors> tag in the web.config file, changing the "mode" to "Off":

<customErrors mode="Off" defaultRedirect="~/error.aspx" redirectMode="ResponseRewrite">

The error details may mean something to you so you can fix the problem.  If not, please copy and paste all the error details here so we can see what they are.

Apr 12, 2011 at 8:45 PM
Edited Apr 12, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Thank you very much for the help.


Here is the error that I am now receiving.

Here is an add-on to this post, I added the debug=true and now i get this meaningful error.

What steps do you think i should take to fix this. I know ways to fix this; however, you guys built this software so I think it is best to get your opinion on this one.

By the way, what type of module is the Compression Module?


I never thought about encrypting the output of an error page.


Whats the logic behind that?

Apr 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM

Just deleted one of the Admin entry's out of the users table and all is well.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Good detective work -- glad you got is resolved.

I've seen on a few rare occasions where the Admin entry is in the Users table twice.  I think it happens when a person inadvertently runs the DB script twice.

Those garbage characters you were seeing have been for a while, and it wasn't until very recently that I realized it was the Compression Module that was causing the garbage characters to appears, rather than a good old yellow screen of death.  I didn't look into the reason in detail, but the compression module is turned on by default and it normally compresses the page contents sent to the browser using one of the standard compression methods such as GZIP.  The purpose is to improve performance by having smaller payloads sent to the browser.  When there is no error, the compression module works well, but when there is an (unhandled) error, it ends up sending garbage to the browser.

May 16, 2011 at 11:36 PM

When I attempted to access my BlogEngine.NET random caracters showed up. Commenting the compression elements fixed the problem.