Multiple Recaptcha Settings Controls

Topics: Controls
Apr 16, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Hi,

I performed a clean upgrade on my blog last night and while going through and setting up all the spam filtering (as I'm getting hammered with comment spam :( ) I've been trying to configure the reCaptcha public and Private keys, by selecting edit from the extension manager, but when I view the page, both my local and live version there are two sets of controls to configure the extension with (as in this screenshot http://www.andrewwestgarth.co.uk/blog/pics/racaptchaerror.jpg) and then when I set the values and click save I get the following error:

Url : http://www.andrewwestgarth.co.uk/blog/admin/Extension Manager/default.aspx?ctrl=params&ext=Recaptcha

Raw Url : /blog/admin/Extension Manager/default.aspx?ctrl=params&ext=Recaptcha

Message : Exception of type 'System.Web.HttpUnhandledException' was thrown.

Source : System.Web

StackTrace : at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)

at ASP.admin_extension_manager_default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) in c:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Temporary ASP.NET Files\blog\0743f783\619443d9\App_Web_zkg15jfu.0.cs:line 0

at System.Web.HttpApplication.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()

at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)

TargetSite : Boolean HandleError(System.Exception)

Message : Multiple controls with the same ID 'Recaptcha' were found. FindControl requires that controls have unique IDs.

Source : System.Web

StackTrace : at System.Web.UI.Control.FillNamedControlsTable(Control namingContainer, ControlCollection controls)

at System.Web.UI.Control.FillNamedControlsTable(Control namingContainer, ControlCollection controls)

at System.Web.UI.Control.FindControl(String id, Int32 pathOffset)

at System.Web.UI.Page.FindControl(String id)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessPostData(NameValueCollection postData, Boolean fBeforeLoad)

at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

TargetSite : Void FillNamedControlsTable(System.Web.UI.Control, System.Web.UI.ControlCollection)

Anyone seen this before, I'm currently trying to locate the cause of this issue right now.

Coordinator
Apr 16, 2011 at 1:04 PM

I would try re-starting the blog by making any change to the web.config file (add a space, etc) ... and then see if you still get 2 recaptcha settings.  If you still get a 2nd recaptcha, then I would check in App_Data\datastore\extensions and look for 2 Recaptcha.xml files (although this seems unlikely).

There was an ongoing issue where all extensions would appear more than once .. i.e. 2, 3, 4, etc times when viewing the list of extensions.  This particular problem was finally fixed after BE 2.0 was released.  It could possibly be that issue.  This particular fix looks like it came right after BE 2.0 was released ... on January 7th, BE 2.0.0.37.

Apr 16, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Hi I've found the cause of the issue, there wee two sets of settings within the Recaptcha.xml file in App_Data\datastore\extensions not sure how that happened but I've removed the second set and tested locally and now have uploaded to live and the issue has been resolved. ah ok I'm running 2.0.0.36, always tend to stick with the full releases tbh. Thanks for replying to my post.