Recurring error in SimpleCaptchaControl.cs

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
May 5, 2011 at 4:17 AM

I'm using BlogEngine.NET 2.0 which worked great for a couple of weeks, but have been seeing a strange error (actually a few, but this is the worst).  FYI, my host is WebHost4Life if that makes any difference.

My site, http://www.maxcook.com/blog was working fine for a few weeks but then I started getting the following error when I click on a post:

Server Error in '/blog' Application.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Line 154:
Line 155:            var settings = ExtensionManager.GetSettings("SimpleCaptcha");
Line 156:            this.simpleCaptchaAnswer = settings.GetSingleValue("CaptchaAnswer");
Line 157:            this.simpleCaptchaLabel = settings.GetSingleValue("CaptchaLabel");
Line 158:

Source File: \\boswinfs05\home\users\web\b2720\whl.maxcook\blog\App_Code\Extensions\SimpleCaptcha\SimpleCaptchaControl.cs    Line: 156

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
   App_Code.Controls.SimpleCaptchaControl.OnInit(EventArgs e) in \\boswinfs05\home\users\web\b2720\whl.maxcook\blog\App_Code\Extensions\SimpleCaptcha\SimpleCaptchaControl.cs:156
   System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +333
   System.Web.UI.Control.InitRecursive(Control namingContainer) +210
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +378

I recompiled the site on my computer, FTP'ed it to the server (keeping my App_Data/Posts directory so I didn't lose my content), and everything worked fine again.  Now two days later, after making NO changes to the site, I'm getting the same error.

Any ideas?  The only other extension I'm relying on is AddThis.NET social bookmarks extension (http://www.mbaldinger.com/post/AddThisNET-v2-for-BlogengineNET-released.aspx).