Can't Display Comments Properly

Topics: Themes
Jun 5, 2011 at 12:46 AM
Edited Jun 5, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Hi All,

I've set up a blog using BlogEngine.net and am having trouble displaying the comments the way I'd like them to appear. All I want to do is have all the comments posted with their full contents at the bottom of the blog (like most blog sites appear to do by default). I've tried a number of different themes and the comments display differently for each, but none can seem to be able to do what I want. With each of the themes I've used, the comments are only viewable once you click on the small "comments" link at the bottom of the page, or sometimes an abbreviated version is displayed in the panel on the right with just the first few words from each comment displayed until you click "more".

I've enabled all the obvious settings under Settings > Comments and looked everywhere else for anything that might be relevant, but I can't seem to get this happening.

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Jun 5, 2011 at 4:46 AM

It sounds like you are on the homepage where the lists of posts are and you want to see the comments there.

When you are on the homepage, it's just the list of posts that appear -- with no comments.  If you pull up an individual post, which has its own URL, then you will see the comments and comment form at the bottom.  Typically to view an individual post, you click on the post title at the top of post.  You'll see that you're at the individual post URL when the URL is something like www.example.com/post/......   Another way to get to the individual post page is to click on the "comments" link at the bottom of the post, as it sounds like you've been doing.

Probably it could be customized to show the list of comments under each post while you are on the homepage.  It doesn't work that way out of the box, but is probably possible with some customization.  I think most blogs that I can remember seeing, work like how BE works .. where the homepage lists all the recent posts, and clicking on a particular post takes you to the individual post page where any comments are viewable at the bottom.

Jun 5, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the response. You're right, I was just looking at the homepage which doesn't show the comments. My blog has one main post, so I just want to go straight to the post instead of the homepage. Not sure if this is a setting or a way to do that? Essentially I'd like user to be able to go straight to my domain name (www.xyz.com) and go to the specific post with all the comments instead of users needing to go to a specific url (www.xyz.com/post/...) or going to the home page and clicking on the post title or comments link.

Any thoughts?