Minimum permissions

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Apr 22, 2008 at 1:22 PM
Hi all,

Could someone please explain to me what the minimum required permissions are for the blog to operate correctly? My understanding is that the AppData and AppCode (for extensions) folders needs "write" permissions of some kind, but I don't want to just add the user "Everybody" and give full control. I would really appreciate it if someone could list the users and their respective permissions that are required to be setup for everything to work correctly.

For example:

Folder App_Code

Internet Guest Account
List of permissions

Launch IIS Process Account
List of permissions

Thank you in advance

Angelos
Apr 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM
AppCode does not need write permissions, just read and execute. It would be a bad idea to have AppCode have write permissions!!!

App_Data needs the following:

Internet Guest Account
Read, Write

Launch IIS Process Account
Read, Write

Then you should make sure to use the "overwrite permissions on child objects" for the App_Data folder.

I think that is the bare minimum.

If you have access to SQL server you can actually avoid using App_Data all together.
Apr 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM
Hi,

Thanks of this. The reason I asked this question is because some of the files don't even have the required "Read" permissions (e.g. App_Code/Extensions) and rather than wait until the web site crashes due to an unauthorized access exception I wanted to set the permissions right from the beginning.

Angelos
Jun 26, 2008 at 10:51 PM

jwendl wrote:
If you have access to SQL server you can actually avoid using App_Data all together.

I have a problem with the extensions not loading with SQL Server.  It seems to still want full control on the app_data layer.  It fails on the deserialization calls in the Extension_Manager/manager.cs class.  I don't want full control... and my ISP will not allow it without moving to an unsecure server.  Anyway around this?