Unable to validate data.

Jul 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM
Edited Jul 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM

I just installed pre compiled BlogEngine.Net 2.5(Web) on local system

Changed the database to SQL server in web.config & enabled ASP.NET membership now getting following error

"Unable to validate data."

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Unable to validate data.]
   System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.EncryptOrDecryptData(Boolean fEncrypt, Byte[] buf, Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Boolean useValidationSymAlgo, Boolean useLegacyMode, IVType ivType, Boolean signData) +4939527
   System.Web.Configuration.MachineKeySection.EncryptOrDecryptData(Boolean fEncrypt, Byte[] buf, Byte[] modifier, Int32 start, Int32 length, Boolean useValidationSymAlgo, Boolean useLegacyMode, IVType ivType) +155
   System.Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.Decrypt(String encryptedTicket) +283
   BlogEngine.Core.Security.ContextAuthenticateRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\Projects\BlogEngine_25_Release\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Security\Security.cs:61
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +80
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +270

There is no such path in my computer.

E:\Projects\BlogEngine_25_Release\BlogEngine\DotNetSlave.BusinessLogic\Security\Security.cs:61

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:19 AM

Just to say that i get the same error as you are getting.

but it worked first time and after a while it stop running, but i don't beleive it has something to do with the database and membership you added.

I have the same setup as you have.

I have 2 versions of it one right out of the box , the blogengine alone, and one with a custom membership provider and role provider and it was working fine and all of a sudden it crashed...

Event by re-donwnloading the zip file and recreating the project. So i'm lost......

Sep 7, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I'm encountering the same thing and looking for a permanent solution. You can get past it by deleting your local cookies, but many users won't know to do this.  This issue was also reported here:

http://blogengine.codeplex.com/workitem/12161