I've inherited an old site - issues with passwords

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Aug 17, 2011 at 8:48 AM
Edited Aug 17, 2011 at 9:10 AM

I've inherited the maintenance of a site, one part of it uses blogengine.net (sigh). I have passwords for the hosting, but not for the blogengine users.

I've grabbed a copy and have it running on my own machine without too much effort. I've added a new user into users.xml and roles.xml to make it an admin user. The user has no password, and I can login with Username / admin . Hurrah

Having done that, how do I change that users password to something other than admin (In fact any users password) ? It seems like it should be obvious, but in the user manager clicking edit lets me change the email address only.

I could create another user I guess, but my goal is to (in the live system) be able to log in and post as the client's existing user- the posts need to be in the MD's name not mine.

OK - having come out of the admin part I find a link to change my password (not sure why that's not in the admin but hey), so I guess I have a route that should work - clear the MD's password from the XML, login as him with an 'admin' password and then reset the passsword to something sensible - anybody think I'm going to break anything?