WHS 2011, IIS 7.5 and BlogEngine.NET

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Aug 21, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Hi,

I have been trying on and off for a few days now to try and get my BlogEngine 2.0 site working on WHS 2011 which uses IIS 7.5.

I have all but given up getting my old site back up and running as no matter what I do I get the head banging: 

500 - Internal server error.

There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

I have turned on tracing, debug, you name it and I don't get any error messages, detailed or not produced in the WHS event viewer or within C:\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles, stating what the stupid problem is.

I have trawled loads of websites and tried tweaking the Web.Config file but all I get is the same stupid message above. I have also tried installing BlogEngine 2.5 and surprise surprise I get the same stupid error message again.

Please can someone save my sanity and help me get my site back up and running.

Thanks

Stephen

Aug 23, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Stephen,

Wow, that's a tough one.  I've faced the horrible 500 error myself a few times on various projects over the years and it's frustrating that it provides no clues to the underlying issue. 

My experience is that it's often related to a web.config file problem.  Two things I'd recommend trying: 1) tripple check that none of the xml in the web.config is malformed.  Comparing it to a known good web.config can help, or just switch to a known good web.config.  2) The next area I'd look at closely is the modules and handlers in the web.config.  To see if this are is a problem, I'd try removing all the modules and handlers from the web.config and see if you can get past the error.  If so, I'd then add them back to the web.config one at a time to hunt down the offending one. 

I hope that helps.  I know how frustrating error 500 can be. 

-Ron