Should I release BE code if I modify it for commercial use

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:12 PM

First let me describe the scenario that I will use BE in. I will start an online web development business and I will be using BE in my projects for customers that needs a blogging functionality within their website. BE will be an optional feature that can be added to the requested website and I will make some modification to the source code of the BE depending on the customer needs. For example, I will override more methods in the BlogBasePage class or I will change the ****.aspx + HTML code of the BE pages to fit the customers' needs. I will also charge money for the customer that has decided to add a blogging feature (ie: BE) to his/her website and it will not be provided for free. My charge is based on the time spent integrating the website and BE or any BE modification as mentioned before.

Now reading the blogengine.net license page (see: http://blogengine.codeplex.com/license?ProjectName=blogengine), specifically in section 3 part A it says the following:

"Reciprocal Grants- For any file you distribute that contains code from the software (in source code or binary format), you must provide recipients the source code to that file along with a copy of this license, which license will govern that file. You may license other files that are entirely your own work and do not contain code from the software under any terms you choose."

Now here is my question:

Does the quote above mean that if have, for example, added my custom code to the BlogBasePage class, then I must provide recipients the source code of the BlogBasePage with my added custom code?! Or just release the BlogBasePage as I first downloaded the project with no added custom code?

Thanks in advance.

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 8:43 PM

From my admittedly limited understanding your client can request any BlogEngine.net source file you modified, including files compiled into Core.dll. For those created by you and added to the same project, you free to use any license you wish. So to your question I would say yes, if you modified BlogBasePage you'll need to provide modified source to the client if requested.

I may be completely wrong though :)

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:34 AM
Edited Oct 25, 2011 at 2:21 AM

Best thing to do is create our own class then just call it from with in BlogBasePage

if you need to.

This way both are separate files.

You can then provide your client with the full source code of the BlogBasePage with the mod if you calling your own class with in the BlogBasePage.

But, with the license requirement not have to release your own "Custom" code.

This way you are fulfilling the license requirement on BE end plus not releasing your own "Custom" code.

Key thing to do if you are putting custom code in that you do not want to be open source is to create it seperate then when needed call it

from with in BE like with the BlogBasePage.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

"Reciprocal Grants- For any file you distribute that contains code from the software (in source code or binary format), you must provide recipients the source code to that file along with a copy of this license, which license will govern that file.   BLOGENGINE.NET

You may license other files that are entirely your own work and do not contain code from the software under any terms you choose."

YOUR CUSTOM CODE

Hope this helps,

Brian Davis

Java Blog