Stumped by 1and1

May 7, 2008 at 11:52 PM
Edited May 7, 2008 at 11:54 PM
Hi,

I'm sure I've done everything I am supposed to, but I still can't get it up and running.

1. I am using the mod pack
2. I have created a blog directory at the root of my webspace where i have extracted the files to
3. I have set the permissions of the appdata folder to allow write for Network and Usr
4. I have my domain pointing at the root and have a redirect.asp

But to no avail, either from the base www.mydomain.com or www.mydomain.com/blog/default.aspx :[ Getting quite frustrated, but not frustrated enough to lump with a blogspot redirect ;) (Yes, I have swapped www.mydomain.com with my own domain name)

The only thing I can think of is that I am extracting all the files into my blog directory, (./blog/all files) not the top level directory that unzips (./blog/ModPack-130-SR-web/all files), so I will test that, but I think it's a long shot.

Any thoughts from those of you lucky / smart enough to tackle the 1&1 hosting issue?
May 9, 2008 at 3:55 PM
Edited May 9, 2008 at 3:59 PM
Hello lagerdalek - I also use 1and1 as my host and can feel your pain. Went through your same 4 steps and was successful in getting things running. The problem I had was the path settings for site navigation links pointed to the root not subfolder. I got frustrated and decided to abandon the project and removed the 2 instances I had up. Probably too early as MikevZ added some new suggestions today:

To further my troubles I have about 100 sites in my package.
Here is my redirect script

<%EnableSessionState=False
host = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_HOST")
if host = "electronika.us" or host = "www.electronika.us" then
response.redirect("http://electronika.us/electronika/default.aspx")

elseif host = "740fulton.net" or host = "www.740fulton.net" then
response.redirect("http://740fulton.net/740fulton/default.aspx")

end if
%>

See my post here
http://www.codeplex.com/blogengine/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=27033&ANCHOR#Post91432
May 9, 2008 at 4:24 PM
Edited May 9, 2008 at 4:29 PM
Hi Lagerdalek,

Using "blog" as physical subfolder resulted in 1&1 Hosting errors on the initial ModPack 1.3 build 05 release.

Could you extract the ModPack 1.3 SR1 bits into a (other than "blog") subfolder?

If that works, I'll recompile a 1&1 specific BlogEngine.Core..DLL which doesn't (virtual) rewrite /blog/ (a feature I needed)
Wanted to create such .DLL earlier, but for some reason Visual Studio C# (2005) refused to load on my desktop :(

Honestly I thought that rewrite behavior should work now in SR1 on 1&1. Can't test it though, since my host is GoDaddy.

Thanks Clickhouse for sharing your findings here as well as your thread: 404 error
Keep us posted so y'all can finally (and hopefully) run BlogEngine/ModPack on the 1-and-1-beast ;-)

Cheers Mike
May 10, 2008 at 10:36 AM
Edited May 10, 2008 at 10:41 AM

Mike & Clickhouse,

A huge Thanks both for your suggestions, it has got me much further.

I changed my subfolder from blog to dsl, and applied Clickhouse's modified script, which, after a few minutes (must have taken some time to register my new Application) got me an actual site rather than a .NET error. Quite excited.

However

1) After changing the admin password and user (after remembering about App_Data security, something I had neglected to do on this, the nth itteration, if installation), I thoughy I was ready to go, however when I tried to delete the default 'Congratulations upon purchasing Blog Engine.NET' blog entry, I'm getting

Server Error in '/' Application.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /post/2008/04/25/modpack-installed-version-mp130sr1.aspx

The same happens when I try to create a blog

The URL, however, is http://www.domainspecificdomain.com/post/(some othestuffr stuff)  which appears to be ignoring the folder that my subdomain is pointing to, (hence the "Server Error in '/' Application" message I' guessing) but when I add that folder (http://www.domainspecificdomain.com/dsl2/post/some other stuff), I get 

Access to the path 'E:\kunden\homepages\ ... \dsl2\App_Data\posts\ .. .xml' is denied, although the posts folder (in fact all child folders of App_Data) have the correct security for Network & IUsr.

This may, however, be an artifact of me injecting the folder into the URL.

2) My images are not showing, and their href properties appear to be pointing to the domain root, not my subdomain redirected folder

3) At times, when I move from the administration tabs, via

'Go To Front Page' link, I get a

Security Exception

Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.EnvironmentPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

Hopefully a webconfig entry can assist in these problems

(stack trace if it is useful

SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.EnvironmentPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.]
   System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check(Object demand, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean isPermSet) +0
   System.Security.CodeAccessPermission.Demand() +59
   System.Net.CredentialCache.get_DefaultNetworkCredentials() +59
   Controls.Blogroll.AddBlog(String name, String description, String feedUrl, String website, String xfn) +157
   Controls.Blogroll.CreateList() +434
   Controls.Blogroll.DisplayBlogroll() +252
   Controls.Blogroll.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +59
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +22
   ASP.themes_standard_sidepanel_ascx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer) +972
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +98
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +20
   System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControlInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +25
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer, ControlAdapter adapter) +121
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderChildren(HtmlTextWriter writer) +59
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.Render(HtmlTextWriter output) +68
   System.Web.UI.HtmlControls.HtmlForm.RenderControl(HtmlTextWriter writer) +37
   ASP.themes_standard_site_master.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer) +511
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +98
   System.Web.UI.Control.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +7
   System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +199
   System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +26
   BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls.BlogBasePage.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +36
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +7350
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +213
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest() +86
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestWithNoAssert(HttpContext context) +18
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +49
   ASP.default_aspx.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context) +4
   System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +358
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64
)

This is not so much of a problem, as I will be the only one experiencing it, however it may be a symptom of a root cause that will rear its ugly head elsewhere.

Again thanks for your assistance so far.
JC
May 10, 2008 at 3:41 PM
Edited May 10, 2008 at 3:42 PM

Yep that sounds very familiar - I had similar problems with not being able to post, images not showing up.  The folder I created to contain the script was not showing up in the app links. 

Instead of

http://www.domain.com/folder/default.aspx

The paths were pointing to:

http://www.domain.com/default.aspx

It was at this point I decided to go another route.  I build and flip websites in my spare time and need a script which requires a minimum of handholding for the new owner.  I started looking for a classic ASP blog but didn't find anything that had the SEO features I was looking for. 

I realize the issues here are due to the host configuration but to make a comparision,  using my linux package I can set up a wordpress blog in 5 minutes.  We need to have something this simple to use and set up on the .NET platform.

Another issue is that 1and1 only permits 5 web applications per hosting package. 

I am willing to give it another go once the path issues are resolved.  MikevZ I see 1nad1 has 3 months free on their MS developer packages - maybe you can get one to see what we are going through.  1and1 claims to be the largest web host in the world.

May 11, 2008 at 1:10 AM
Hmm, sounds like the default asp script is rerouting, but javascript isn't (guess). There are a couple of people for whom this works, so I am not giving up yet, but it is getting quite frustrating.
May 11, 2008 at 5:41 AM
I've been fighting this for three days with 1and1, and I finally logged on.  Most of this is in the FAQs on the admin page, first after you give the appropriate folders write permission, you need to open "Web Files" from the 1and1 screen. Once it's loaded, go to "application settings" in the file menu and start the application.  Browse to the folder you are using for Blogengine to start it.

I added the connection string for the SQL server in the web.config file.  Comment the SQL string line to use the XML version, I assume, I didn't try, but I did notice that it didn't like the dummy string without the SQL string. Then I had to delete line 43 of the web.config. <trust level="high" />, then I deleted 202 of /App_Code/Controls/Blogroll.cs" , [ item.Request.Credentials = CredentialCache.DefaultNetworkCredentials; ] This is because 1and1 won't let you change registry settings or let your app have control of server settings. Make sure you have changed your custom errors to Off, so you can track the lines of code and try altering them or deleting them. <customErrors mode="Off">

Now I'm about to give up, because ASP.NET apps can only be in the folder you are using, that is they can't be in a sub-folder.  I think the /admin application needs to be moved in the root directory.  Also, make sure you copy the contents from /blogengine/bin/ to a /bin folder in your root directory. Most of this is in the FAQs at 1and1.

Jack
May 11, 2008 at 6:11 AM
Edited May 11, 2008 at 6:11 AM
I
May 13, 2008 at 7:44 AM
Edited May 13, 2008 at 7:53 AM
Thanks guys for all your help, looks like I'm not the only one struggling here.

I have taken the coward's option and subscribed to discountasp.net for simple blogengine install, which also gives me .NET 3.5 hosting.

I can still use the oodles of 1and1 space and its SQL database where I need, so I am happy with the current option. I guess I could work out what I'm paying all up and decide whether a virtual machine somewhere might not be just as cheap if I don't need all to filespace I have with my cheap options.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone, and still keen to hear if there is a 1and 1 option in future