W3C ACCESSIBILITY

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Oct 4, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I have recently setup a website based on the blogengine.net format for a company in London (UK).  They have asked if it meets legal requirements for disabled.  Upon checking into UK laws, my understanding is the website should conform to W3C accessbility guidelines.  I have read that I believe within my HTML pages and posts I have done a good job with this, but do not understand what if any allowances have been provided within BlogEngine.

Any further explanation is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:29 AM

I have not gotten any response here, but in the mean time I did the following:

• Updated my theme to account for W3C Accessability
  • Changed a number of controls (such as PageList, RecentPosts, etc.)
  • Changed the custom pages (such as Contact.aspx)

Now that I have done this, I belive BlogEngine could use an upgrade to ensure all of it's internals meet both HTML5 as well as W3C Accessibility.  I am willing to take on this work, I guess I need someone on the team to say yes and point me in the right direction. And if there is someone out there who is willing and able to test with one or more vision software tools, awesome!

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Sure, here is quick overview on how to contribute code to BE, some things slightly changed but it mostly same - fork project and then submit pull request. Let me know if any questions.

Oct 17, 2011 at 8:13 AM
Good Morning;
I did some preliminary work on HTML5 and Aria Accessibility, and it turns out to be a slippery slope. The built in editor does not support HTML5.
Do you have a roadmap of work to be done by the dev team, and assignments etc. Or is it all casual?
I believe the best course is to convert blog engine to an MVC 4 application, which is HTML5 compliant. This is a major upgrade, and possibly a divergence from the current roadmap. I am interested in helping with this, but it may be a bit much for one person.
Please let me know your thoughts on this.
Thank you,
Todd B. Adams
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:18 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: W3C ACCESSIBILITY [blogengine:274719]

Sure, here is quick overview on how to contribute code to BE, some things slightly changed but it mostly same - fork project and then submit pull request. Let me know if any questions.

Coordinator
Oct 17, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Not sure why accessibility has to be tied to HTML5, but you can look at this project that adds HTML5 to webforms. The editor is TinyMCE, same that used by Wordpress and many other popular web applications. I'd rather let them move editor to HTML5 on their own :) No plans to move to MVC in the near future, that would require lots of resources with no visible benefits for application users. Never say never though.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:52 AM
Hi;
Yes, HTML5 is not tied to accessibility, I was trying to do to much. I will continue with just changes to make accessibility functional. Thanks for the info.
Todd
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2011 6:59 PM
To: [email removed]
Subject: Re: W3C ACCESSIBILITY [blogengine:274719]

Not sure why accessibility has to be tied to HTML5, but you can look at this project that adds HTML5 to webforms. The editor is TinyMCE, same that used by Wordpress and many other popular web applications. I'd rather let them move editor to HTML5 on their own :) No plans to move to MVC in the near future, that would require lots of resources with no visible benefits for application users. Never say never though.