BE Parent Category Functionality?

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Nov 18, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Not sure I understand the purpose of the parent/child category relationships in Blog Engine. It seems that while the relationship can be established the application does not really take advantage of the fact categories can be related. For example, when I click on a parent category, shouldn't the returned page include all posts for the parent category as well as all posts in child categories? Same deal in the category display, shouldn't the counts include the total of parent and child posts? I've choosen BE as a replacement for my ezine site which includes many guitar gear reviews and as such have many categories (example by parent, child, and then manufacturer) and am having trouble really getting the category navigation to work like I'd like it to. I built a custom content page which builds the hierarchy like I thought the would work (without counts though, you can see it at http://www.frugalguitarist.com/content.aspx). UNfortunately, my language comfort is VB.net so heavy customizing of the core C# code is something I was hoping to avoid.

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Take a look at this widget - it does nested categories, but probably not exactly as you want it.

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:17 PM

Thanks. I actually downloaded that and its very good. But I have too many categories to display effectively in a widget and didn't like the Archive layout due to ignoring child categories which is why I created a custom content page. What I'd really like is for the full category path to appear in each post and also if a user clicks on a parent category the returned page also includes posts from a child category. Perhaps its time to read up on C#...

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2011 at 7:40 PM

You can create extension in VB.NET that will, on post load, add list of categories as a breadcrumb to the top of the post. Unless you are looking for excuse to dig into c# :)

Nov 18, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Huh! Interesting option...thanks!