form woes

Topics: Business Logic Layer, Controls
Nov 22, 2011 at 7:58 AM
Edited Nov 22, 2011 at 9:25 AM

Hi all,

I have a small textbox on one of my BE pages with in it a form.

The form action = POST and I add a URL to that.

When filling in the data in the textboxes in that form I click the submit button.

What happens is not what I expect. There is no redirection to the url I want, just the default.aspx is displayed.

basically, the form requires a name and email, that is send to a server where this data is checked and stored.

It looks like the URL never gets the request, what am I doing wrong here?

FYI, the server is hosted at my house for the moment.

for those who are interested what I talk about: http://www.statisticalfunctions.com (the textbox is on the left. the site is a work in progress)

Thanks In Advance for any useful tips, hints and ideas.

Hovering the mouse over the button displays the url of the default.aspx of the site... <sigh>

** added later, extra observation ***

I originally created a page called inschrijven.html (http://www.statisticalfunctions.com/inschrijven.html)

I did that for testpurposes.

calling that page and filling the data there, then click the submitbutton gives a response

It also returns a correct page.

Filling the data in the form there gives me a response from the server (a fast one if I may say so!)

Then going to the homepage of the site I fill the form again, no response now.

What is going on here?

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:02 PM

BE pages server-side based, you can't just throw HTML form into it. You would have to use server control instead, with code-behind handling your form data. Or create a widget similar to "newsletter" (only much simpler in your case, I believe).

Nov 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM
Edited Nov 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I don't have the time nor the patience for these technical issues. I guess I have to set up my sites in a different way. If BE cannot handle such simple things as HTML then it might not be what I look for.

Also I have taken a look at the way to design sites and themes. Why is it so hard to do it a visual way? I see no controls and no code at all.

Being pretty much a visual guy I cannot make anything of the way themes are created. <sigh>.

I would like to drop some controls (textboxes, buttons etc) on a webform and go on from there.

Maybe an idea for the next version. For now I am not really happy how things work... But that is my NSHO, but hey I come from the only real powertool M$(hit) ever had (VFP).

If I read well what you write then using external email services are not possible at all (be it Aweber or anything else). THAT is a major setback for those who want to do Internet Marketing. FYI, that is the only reason I lookeed at a tool that was easy to use. So it looks that BE is island-programming, much like Progress was in the past.

Thanks for the information, I will look for another platform.

Coordinator
Nov 22, 2011 at 8:53 PM

Aweber and alike will do fine with BE, but you do need beyond drag-and-drop skills for most tasks. Good luck though.

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:52 PM
rtur wrote:

Aweber and alike will do fine with BE, but you do need beyond drag-and-drop skills for most tasks. Good luck though.

Drag&drop is what I want. It so seems that BE is making this impossible. making BE a NoGo. I think I have to switch to WP. NOt what I want but if BE does not support the simplest of all code than that makes BE a NOGO for all those who want to make an income online.

Sorry to come to that conclusion. It looked promising, but unfortunately the core developers are missing the point of being on-line.

BL

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:04 PM

“beyond D&D skills” is not what I want. I want speed and that is what D&D offers.

I do NOT want to be bothered by technical issues, I want to set up a website at lightspeed, being an Internet Marketer first and a techie person second

Your reply makes clear that WordPress has this AB-SO-LUTE advantage of offering D&D

Learn from that

BL

Sent: dinsdag 22 november 2011 21:54
To: b.lutgerink@betuwe.net
Subject: Re: form woes [blogengine:280356]