How do I link back to website - Completed

Topics: Themes
May 21, 2008 at 3:36 PM
I am a novice web programmer, I have installed 1.3.0.0 on my website Discovermlmsecrets.com.   I have a link in my menu to the blog site (installed in a subdirectory). I would like the blog to link back to the home page on my site but I can not determin how to do that.   I found under settings a place to add HTML code to the header, however when I did that is distored the links in the header section.

There is an image on the front page that as the title from the title field, it appears to be a link imagae.   I would really like it if , when they clicked on that they would be taken back to www.discovermlmsecrets.com/default.aspx.

Also can someone point me to an educational website that would explain to me about the ping services and how to best make use of a blog?

I am sorry for such basic questions in, what appears to be, a place to ask code based questions but I couldnt locate a basic forum.
May 23, 2008 at 5:16 PM
First, don't give up.

Second, look at your themes folder and then find a file named site.master that lies inside the theme you want to use.  For example, I'm using a theme called nonzero.  In internet explorer, find X:\somedirectory\blogs\themes\nonzero\site.master.

You'll need to edit that file.  If you have visual studio 2008 then it should be a snap.  Not having that software, I use Visual Web Developer 2008 express edition.  It loads fine but the design view will show lots of problems.  Just ignore them and go to the code page.

Look for the code block:

<

ul>

<li id="<%=TabClass("Home") %>"><a href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>" class="active">Home</a></li>
     <li id="<%=TabClass("Archive") %>"><a href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>archive.aspx">Archive</a></li>
     <li id="<%=TabClass("Contact") %>"><a href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>contact.aspx">Contact Me</a></li>

<li id="<%=TabClass("Login") %>"><asp:LoginStatus ID="LoginStatus1" runat="Server" LoginText="Sign in" LogoutText="Sign out" EnableViewState="false" /></li>

Insert a line and then type something similar to this:

<li id="<%=TabClass("Main Site") %>"><a href="http://www.mywayne.info">mywayne.info</a>

but before the closing </ul>

Hope this helps.

May 23, 2008 at 9:59 PM
I am doing hard coded approach to change the template to achieve this, is not recommended but i love the result. This is alternative. On standard Theme you will find this code on site.master
<h1><a href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>"><%=BlogSettings.Instance.Name %></a></h1>
<h2><%=BlogSettings.Instance.Description %></h2>

I add this code in that line, I use the asp.net internal tag to provide the solution. Remember, you need to specify the image location. ~ means root, so it would be flexible.
<asp:HyperLink ID="nurastoHyperLink" runat="server" ImageUrl="~/themes/nurasto/images/logo.png" NavigateUrl="~/default.aspx" />
<h1><a href="<%=Utils.AbsoluteWebRoot %>"><%=BlogSettings.Instance.Name %></a></h1>
<h2><%=BlogSettings.Instance.Description %></h2>

You could make changes if you wish.
May 27, 2008 at 2:41 PM
Thank you , you pointed me in exactly the right direction and I have it done.
This is completed