Ability to Make Posts Recurring

Topics: Business Logic Layer
May 29, 2008 at 12:16 AM
I would like to add the ability to set a post as recurring.  Such posts would automatically be replicated on an interval defined by the user.

To do this, I thought the simplest way would be to add the following attributes to the post class: PrevPostDate (DateTime), RecurInterval (string), RecurUnits (int). 

I would leverage the standard blogengine procedure for creating categories and add one called 'recurring'. 

Finally, I would write a Windows Service that would filter for all posts with category of recurring, then check the prevpostdate, recurinterval, and recurunits properties of those posts to determine whether an automatic repost was in order. 

Any suggestions on best way to implement these changes?  A pointer to how to modify the post class would be appreciated. 

Thanks for your help.

ElSalsero
May 29, 2008 at 5:00 PM
Edited May 29, 2008 at 5:01 PM

Just out of curiosity, why do you want this feature? What would be the purpose of it?

Brent

May 29, 2008 at 6:38 PM
Edited May 29, 2008 at 6:40 PM

I am using the blog engine in part as a to-do list.  Can't tell you what a difference it's made in my productivity both at work and at home. 

Much better than Outlook tasks, as I can post notes (using comments), images, etc.  And of course, I can access it from any internet connection.

It's been a watershed for me, personally.  Was happy to make my donation to BlogEngine yesterday.

I was wanting to make recurring tasks so I remember to do various things-- payments to creditors on regular intervals, for example.

I was actually surprised not to find any hits when I searched for recurring posts on blogengine.  I would think an events blog could use this-- monthly meetings, get-togethers, etc. 

Thanks.

BrentLamborn wrote:

Just out of curiosity, why do you want this feature? What would be the purpose of it?

Brent

May 29, 2008 at 9:45 PM
Edited May 29, 2008 at 9:46 PM
I see interesting. That is a good use for it.

I think most people would not use this, since most users will be publishing their blog on the WWW. In that case duplicate content on a site is a bad thing.

Something like this could be written as an extension for those who would use it.

Brent