Upgrading to 2.5 from 2.0 for blog part of my website

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Jan 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I am currently using BE 2.0 (see here) and would like to upgrade to 2.5 . Currently the 2.0 is part of my website and is not running as a stand alone project. I remember that back when I  upgraded to 2.0 I had some issues when trying to make it working. Before tackling the upgrade I would like to know if with this new version, as now BE uses .NET 4.0, there is some documentation about how to use BE 2.5 in an existing website.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Hi Jean Luc.   One document which you may have seen is "Upgrading to BlogEngine.NET 2.5".  These upgrade instructions are geared towards standalone BE installations ... which is not actually your case, but the upgrade instructions might still help.

Unfortunately, I don't believe documentation exists on integrating BE with another website.  The main reason is because there are many possible combinations depending on how the "other" website is setup.  For example, when people are combining BE w/ their existing website, sometimes people put BE into the root folder, and sometimes into a subfolder (e.g. /blog, I think like you have).  Sometimes people already have their own default.aspx (homepage) and wish to use it instead of BE's default.aspx.  Combining the two sites can also differ if the existing website is using certain assemblies or have their web.config file configured a certain way that conflicts with BE (merging the web.config files can be tricky in some cases).  Some existing websites are already using Forms Authentication, and combining the site with BE requires somehow merging the two Forms Authentication systems.  With all these possibilities, it's not particularly easy to have a single piece of documentation that covers all this.

Probably combining BE 2.5 with your existing website will require the same or similar types of configuration that you did when upgrading to BE 2.0 -- hopefully you remember what you did then!  I guess the best approach is to setup a new test/development website, and combine them, see what happens, and take actions based on that.