url slug bug

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Jan 17, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Since BlogEngine 1.6+ , i am noticing there is a bug in url slug creation function...

Where ?

Check this post title - Our first BlogEngine.Net Theme ! - Sizzle

Now BlogEngine Creates url slug like this - We-have-released-our-first-BlogEngineNet-Theme-Sizzle-!.aspx

Clearly you can see that exclamation mark inside url . I am not sure if it has been deliberately left like that..

Kindly clear me on dat...

Problems that it creates

1. You can not submit your url to directories and social bookmarking sites as ! symbol in url alarms the validation javascript of these sites to be seen as an invalid url.

2. When you  modify your slug by removing exclamation (!) the search engines that have previously seen your url throw 404 error..Bad in terms of SEO.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Here is an issue from Drupal with people complaining that it does not support "!" in the URLs and this bug must be fixed :) It looks like "!" is a valid character for URL but you can run into issues with some sites just as you mentioned. You know, like some sites require not-alphanumeric characters in passwords and others make them illegal, take your poison sort of things.

Jan 18, 2012 at 6:16 AM

thanks for your reply and that point to interesting thread on drupal system.

Personally , I do not think there is any point in keeping ! mark in the url...I seems un-natural both from the point of view of visitors and search engines.

How can you say a visitor -

Hey ! checkout my website url at -  demo-!-sample-!.aspx

lol !! ,

i mean we have moved in the last decade from GUID in url to SLUG based easy to remember url.