Help! Page suddenly lost all formatting/theme, etc...

May 29, 2008 at 6:46 PM
I just went to my blog page this morning and noticed that the page was loading without any background images, theme, formatting, etc.:  

Trek Life Blog

I haven't edited the page in a number of days and it was working fine after my last edit.   My code hasn't changed so I can rule out a hack or anything, it's possible the problem existed a few days back but my page just wasn't refreshing properly for me to see the error until now, I don't know.   I can't find anything that could be causing the problem, everything seems to be as it was with my code.

If someone could look at my site and let me know if you can figure out why it's suddenly broken I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Thanks,
Seth
May 29, 2008 at 6:49 PM
So weird, now after another refresh it seems to be displaying correctly.   I'd be curious to know if it looks correct to other people as well.    I can't tell you how many times I refreshed the page, cleared temp files, cookies, etc. and it was still broken.    Anybody seen anything like this before?   I wish I had taken a screenshot!
May 29, 2008 at 8:56 PM
Edited May 29, 2008 at 8:56 PM
Mine does that too sometimes, but when I refresh everything is ok again. The abscence of formatting is actually the mobile theme I think. I think it's a server issue actually and not the blogengine.
May 29, 2008 at 10:12 PM
Used to have this happpen on my dev machine although it never happens when I uncheck "trim stylesheets" in the advanced setting menu. If you continue to have issues give it a try.
May 30, 2008 at 8:27 AM
I've also had this on a couple of occasions. Clearing the browser cache from IE or FF solved the issue for me.
It's definitely not a thing that I've had complaints about from my readers.

Regards,
Peter.

May 30, 2008 at 6:05 PM
Thanks everyone.    I think BennyM was right about it being the mobile theme rearing its head somehow, I haven't actually checked to see what the mobile theme will look like but that definitely describes the look of it.   I wonder what would cause it to suddenly switch to the mobile theme even after multiple refreshes, I even tried clearing my browser cache and that didn't fix it.   I'll check out the 'trim stylesheets' option if it happens again.

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:28 PM
So it happened again, I tried refreshing the page several times and was still seeing the 'mobile' version of the page.    I went into the settings and unchecked the 'Trim stylesheets' option that Taylex mentioned and bingo, as soon as I refreshed the page it looked normal again.   Not sure what that means since I'm no developer, but figured I'd let you all know.
Jun 5, 2008 at 9:28 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2008 at 9:30 PM
It has nothing to do with the mobile theme. Essentially what happens is that the .css file fails to load in your browser so none of the styling (and some of your images will be in the stylesheet) gets applied to the page. As has been said, if you uncheck trimming of white space you should be ok. When you have it checked, the stylesheet is served via a custom handler named css.axd . There is apparently an issue with this handler or with how the browser caches stylesheets served by this handler.
Jun 5, 2008 at 10:07 PM
I wonder does this behavior happen in IE 7 / Firefox 2? Because I never experience such problem in those two browsers.

Regards,
Agus Suhanto
Jun 5, 2008 at 10:43 PM
Edited Jun 5, 2008 at 10:44 PM
treklight, do you happen to be hosted on an IIS 7 server? The only time I have to turn off "trim stylesheets" is when I am on my Windows 2008 box. I have noticed this behavior on some of my other sites when I do not have the first line on the CSS file blank. Might help narrow things down.

brentLamborn is correct (IMHO) it is not reverting to a mobile theme. It is definately just not reading the CSS file.

suhanto, when it happens to me it is in IE6, IE7, FF2 and Safari.
Jun 11, 2008 at 4:08 PM
Edited Jun 11, 2008 at 4:16 PM
I host several instances of blogengine.net, and see this fairly frequently. It's getting to be a problem with my customers as well. It's not the mobile theme, and it's not CSS trimming (I'm running on IIS 6.0). Does anyone have any ideas?

edit #1:
The only way I've found to fix it is to restart the site (by touching web.config) or by doing an IIS Reset

edit #2:
this is currently effecting my personal blog at http://danimal.acsysinteractive.com/ . I won't do an iisreset for a few days so if someone needs more information let me know.