Problem Customizing a theme...

Topics: Themes
Jun 15, 2008 at 8:16 PM
Hi all,
I am trying to customizing a theme and followed the screencasts given in the site of BE.net.

After i have completed everything that the screencast suggested, i am facing with a problem...

All the content is getting reflected in the page except for the post content.... that which should be populated by cphBody
I donno what the problem is....can anyone bail me out?

regards,
indey
Jun 15, 2008 at 10:26 PM
make sure your theme has the PostView.ascx control...

Does it?
Jun 16, 2008 at 11:39 AM
Hey Thanx Dan for your reply...

I have created the PostView.ascx contraol as well as the Commenview.ascx control....

When i click the title of the post(though it has no content in it....only the title) the post view is opening, but not displaying any of the content...
Jun 16, 2008 at 1:02 PM
Edited Jun 17, 2008 at 3:34 AM
Look at your PostView.ascx for:
<DIV class=text><asp:PlaceHolder id=BodyContent runat="server"></asp:PlaceHolder></DIV>

change it to:
<DIV class=text><%=Body %></DIV>

I know the latter has been deprecated but it is the only way I have found to get my custom theme to work.

EDIT to avoid confusion: The pertinent parts are within the div tags, your div tags may (and probably will) be different.
Jun 16, 2008 at 3:00 PM
Try:
  <div class="text"><asp:PlaceHolder ID="BodyContent" runat="server" /></div>

which is slightly different than the posted markup: quotations around "BodyContent" and a self-closing aspPlaceHolder ID...
I don't know if those little things will make the difference for you, or not, but it's worth noting.

Cheers!
Jun 16, 2008 at 9:15 PM
Thanx Taylex and Dan for your suggestions...

I replaced the <DIV class=text><asp:PlaceHolder id=BodyContent runat="server"></asp:PlaceHolder></DIV>

with <DIV class=text><%=Body %></DIV>

its working fine.. :)

Jun 17, 2008 at 3:35 AM
Edited Jun 17, 2008 at 3:36 AM
Glad you got it working. I haven't looked into this further to see what the issue is but it only happens to me when using code behind. Are you also using a code behind on your PostView.ascx file?
Jun 17, 2008 at 5:28 AM
Edited Jun 17, 2008 at 5:28 AM
I don't mean to presume anything, but I wonder what would happen if you used the semantically correct markup:
<div class="text"><asp:PlaceHolder ID="BodyContent" runat="server" /></div>
(lifted straight from the "default" theme)

The only reason I bring this up agian is that I am putting the finishing touches on my own ported theme, and that markup works like a charm for me.
Jun 17, 2008 at 1:05 PM
I've tried that Dan and it doesn't work for me. Are you using code behind or just a single PostView.ascx?
Jun 17, 2008 at 2:00 PM
Nope- no code behind in my PostView. I readily admit that I am not clever enough to put anything in there...

Jun 17, 2008 at 9:21 PM
Yup Taylex, im using a code behind for PostView.acsx

I'll try to remove that and try with the default one...

@Dan - i have tried using the code u have given...but it isn't working for me...
Jun 18, 2008 at 1:08 AM
Edited Jun 18, 2008 at 1:16 AM
I found the problem area.
When using Code Behind the error is:
 'themes_..._PostView.Page_Load(object, System.EventArgs)' hides inherited member 'BlogEngine.Core.Web.Controls.PostViewBase.Page_Load(object, System.EventArgs)'. Use the new keyword if hiding was intended. C:\Users\...\testblog\themes\...\PostView.ascx.cs 14 20 C:\...\testblog\

By simply removing:

protected

void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) 
{

)

the error is gone and the page loads as expected but I do not know if that is the preferred or correct method to address the issue.
Sorry for the poor formatting, I haven't been able to grasp this forum yet, and why the heck are the email notifications so spotty?!

Jun 18, 2008 at 9:27 PM
No help Taylex....I removed the Protected keyword from in the PostView.ascx.cs but the problem persists....

yup...even I have no clue about the email notifications...
Coordinator
Jun 18, 2008 at 10:17 PM
Take a look at this post, it shows porting theme from scratch.