Problems uploading blog.

Topics: Business Logic Layer, Controls, Themes
Feb 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Hi

Wonder if anyone can help me?

Stuck in the middle between developer and hosting company!

Trying to add blog to .net 4.0 site

Developer message

I have uploaded the blog to the site, and they do have to convert the /Blog folder to an application. Please tell them to do so, otherwise it will not work. Once this is done, let me look at it again to see if I fixed all design problems.

Hosting reply

Sorry, I don’t know what they mean. Your whole website is the application. Just because it is in a different folder shouldn’t matter. It is still part of your website.

There is an ASP.NET error message coming up which is hiding the true error message. If they follow the instructions in the error message to disable custom errors in the web.config then you should see the real error.

Developer message

Tell the hosting company that the "real error" is that the Blog folder needs to be converted to an application. Right click on the Blog folder in IIS and select "Convert to Application". That's it. It is a separate app than ours and won't work as part of ours.

Hosting reply

That option doesn’t appear on the server and may not be supported in IIS6 which that server is running, although we have never seen a .NET site that couldn’t run on IIS6.

Reading the error message suggests that moving the BlogEngine parts to the main web.config may resolve the issue and I would say to try that first.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Alicia

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2012 at 5:57 PM

What is your host? Most of the times, hosts provide a way to create application under user's root folder, which is what developer wants. If you have any kind of control panel your host gives you access to, look at something line "create virtual directory" or "create application folder" or something of this nature, it can be named very "creatively". They don't want to give full access to IIS for security reasons and control panel usually exposes few functions, including "convert virtual directory to application", but it is there under different name.

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Many Thanks for your prompt reply

Hopefully developer can find a way around this without hosting people getting involved. possible?

What is your host? sorry not technical Im afraid what details can I get you?

Alicia

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I use winhost which gives remote IIS access with few restrictions, arvixe and godaddy - both let you setup applications via control panel.

But I would start with bloggersonline hosting if I were you, it has free and inexpensive options and very familiar with BlogEngine. It wasn't around when I was looking for host.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Many Thanks again but more

From developer

The problem basically is that we want to install the blog engine in a /Blog folder inside our site, and that requres the /Blog folder to be made into a web application in IIS, but the hosting company says they are using IIS6 and there's no way they can make a subfolder of a web aplication to be a separate web application.

From me

Regarding your suggestion for hosting the blog we really need it on the same domain and hosting ie www.xyz.com/blog for seo reasons

Cheers Alicia

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2012 at 3:58 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM
The problem basically is that we want to install the blog engine in a /Blog folder inside our site, and that requres the /Blog folder to be made into a web application in IIS, but the hosting company says they are using IIS6 and there's no way they can make a subfolder of a web aplication to be a separate web application.

???

1) Open IIS Manager.
2) Click on the websites.
3) Click on desired website and go the folder which needs to create as an application folder.
4) Right Click on that folder -> select directory tab.
5) Click on create button on application name.
6) Click ok.

Or, check this MS guide.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Great support.

Many Thanks

Feb 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Finally making progress thanks.

Is this too basic http://goo.gl/VmNW2 what do you think.

Not sure how much I can change on my own with getting developer involved?

Actually tried to post a test post but nothing happens when I hit the add post button, maybe its a setting?

Also you see Welcome to our Blog on right side, editor is very basic could add an image there but editor doesnt give this option or to change font for instance or is all this possible using html?

Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks Alicia

Feb 13, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Managed to put a dummy photo up with html but still cant add posts or pages or even edit the test post. Sure its something obvious!

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2012 at 8:26 PM

It is complaining that it can't find ~/Blog/editors/tiny_mce_3_4_3_1/tiny_mce.js - could be that copy files to web server got messed up or corrupted. Please verify that you have same files in ~/Blog/editors as in install package. May be it is easier to delete all in blog/editors and re-upload it.

Meanwhile, you can use windows live writer or even word to edit and publish posts.

Feb 13, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Ok thanks

So I need to get this done before I can post or add pages correct? and to use windows live writer?

Many Thanks Again for prompt answers.

Alicia

Coordinator
Feb 13, 2012 at 9:01 PM

You can use WLW regardless. To post/edit from web you need to fix issue with missing javascripts in TinyMCE.

Feb 14, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Thanks Ruslan

What do you think the theme we have uploaded looks like, too basic/boring or maybe its ok within a website?

Can you suggest any themes that may look good on our site http://goo.gl/VmNW2

Many Thanks Alicia

Coordinator
Feb 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

It has to be part of the company site and inherit look and feel, so I guess you don't want it stick out anyways. Looks pretty natural to me.

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Many thanks Ruslan

Can post and edit now!

Thanks for all of your answers.

Think we might try the Boldy theme with the add this extension.

Cheers Alicia