how to update using source code?

Jul 5, 2008 at 10:04 PM
Hi: I wanted to update to 1.4.03, but wasn't sure how to do it. I tried downloading the source and then copying everything but the user settings and web.config into the web project, which seemed to work, but when I tried to get to the admin -> settings page, there were a lot of code-behind errors for what looks like settings that were added since 1.4.00? All these lines created errors unless I commented them out:

cbRemoveWhitespaceInPages.Checked = BlogSettings.Instance.RemoveWhitespaceInPages;

cbRequireSslForMetaWeblogApi.Checked = BlogSettings.Instance.RequireSSLMetaWeblogAPI;

cbUseBlogNameInPageTitles.Checked = BlogSettings.Instance.UseBlogNameInPageTitles;

BlogSettings.Instance.RequireSSLMetaWeblogAPI = cbRequireSslForMetaWeblogApi.Checked;

BlogSettings.Instance.RemoveWhitespaceInPages = cbRemoveWhitespaceInPages.Checked;

BlogSettings.Instance.UseBlogNameInPageTitles = cbUseBlogNameInPageTitles.Checked;

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:11 PM
i also would like to know how to do this.

i see that mads has fixed a number of issues i'm plagued with but when i download the source code and run it on my local machine i get a bunch of errors.

how do you use the source code files to update blogengine?
Coordinator
Jul 7, 2008 at 3:47 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2008 at 3:49 PM
1. Download and unzip source code. You’ll get a folder containing VS 2005 solution with two projects: class library (BlogEngine.Core) and web site.

2. Double click solution file (BlogEngine.sln) to run VS 2005. It will load class library but likely will fail to load a web site. No problem.

3. Right click solution in the solution explorer (top most file) and select Add-> Existing Web Site. Navigate to BlogEngine.Net in the dialog that will appear and click “open”.

4. Remove unavailable web site from solution (obviously, if it was available for you in the first place skip 3 and 4).

5. Make web site as start up project (right click -> set as start up).

6. Set reference to Core library (right click BlogEngine.Net project -> set reference -> project -> BlogEngine.Core

7. Build -> build solution.

Now you have local BlogEngine installation with compiled BlogEngine.Core.dll. To upgrade, copy this DLL to your site's bin folder along with any files in the web site that has been changed sinse previous releases.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:20 PM
thanks, rtur. i will try that.

i don't have VS 2005 but i do have Visual Web Developer. i'm guessing it will still work?
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2008 at 2:04 AM

Steppppo wrote:
thanks, rtur. i will try that.

i don't have VS 2005 but i do have Visual Web Developer. i'm guessing it will still work?

I think, you'll need C# express to build class library. Or web developer 2008 with latest service pack - it should have support for both web site and class library.
Jul 8, 2008 at 2:47 PM
Thanks for the detailed instructions rtur. Just two comments:

You mention to "set reference" to blogengine.core. When I right-clicked on blogengine.net the only option was "add reference", and when I selected that, and clicked on the "projects" tab, the core was already highlighted, so I "OK'd" the selection and was able to complete the build...I guess it was already selected, but I wanted to mention this for any other newbies <g>.

Secondly, you say "copy this DLL to your site's bin folder along with any files in the web site that has been changed sinse previous releases"...but how do I know what's been changed, say, from 1.4.0.0 to 1.4.0.8? Is it "safe" to copy everything except web.config and App_Data?

Do I need to compare the new web.config with the existing to see if there are any changes? Or does web.config never change during minor releases? Do files in app_data ever change in minor releases?

Thanks again for the help...newbies need their hands held!
Jul 8, 2008 at 4:07 PM
One followup issue...I built 1.4.0.8 from source, replaced everything in the website except for web.config and app_data, and now the site loads very slowly (as if it's waiting for a connection to time out) and I'm getting errors, like on the post page I get an "Object expected" error on:

WebForm_InitCallback();

What am I missing? I'm using MSSQL to store the posts, but the posts are showing up so I don't think the SQL connections are timing out.
Coordinator
Jul 8, 2008 at 4:44 PM
It should be safe to replace all except Web.config and App_data. Not sure about issue with connection time out, I'll try it later today to see if this is a common problem. Try to re-start IIS (or reboot if you run locally) - sometimes weird issues like this go away.
Jul 8, 2008 at 4:49 PM

rtur wrote:
It should be safe to replace all except Web.config and App_data. Not sure about issue with connection time out, I'll try it later today to see if this is a common problem. Try to re-start IIS (or reboot if you run locally) - sometimes weird issues like this go away.

Thanks for your reply...I had stopped the project in IIS (this is on a shared server 2008 std ed.), copied over the new files, then restarted the web, but I'll play around with it and see if I can get any more meaningful errors.
Jul 9, 2008 at 6:50 AM
Hi dotnetnoob,

You should be safe Web.config and App_Data.
You can overwrite existing web.config with new web.config but you must reconfigure web.config with old value. It's simple way to make sure new release of BlogEngine.NET can running well.

Regards,

Ahmad Masykur
Jul 18, 2008 at 3:49 AM
I just checked out the most recent changeset via TortoiseSVN. When I went to open the solution file, I was prompted to convert it. Does this pose a problem? It looks as though the files will no longer be under source control if I convert it. If I convert and build it, will I be able to upload the files to my server and will they function as expected? Is there a best practice for using source control and VS 2008 to work with BE.net?
Jul 19, 2008 at 3:37 AM
Edited Jul 19, 2008 at 3:38 AM
I hava a video about that.You can go
http://blog.119797.com/article/svn-BlogEngine/
Sep 2, 2008 at 10:10 AM
Edited Sep 2, 2008 at 10:11 AM
Hi corrydeppen,

I have the same problem open it in VS 2008. I’m getting errors after opening the project file (I tried it both way’s removed and kept source control). Finally I end up the BlogeEngine project can't be opened. I guess the link
http://blog.119797.com/article/svn-BlogEngine/ from benben is not about this topic so I ask anybody how to solve it?<o:p></o:p>