Tag Cloud displaying as a list

Topics: Controls, Themes
Jul 26, 2008 at 9:32 AM
The tags in the tag cloud at http://www.stockmode.com/tech/ are displayed as a list instead of next to each other

Please help.

Bharat Mudgal
Jul 26, 2008 at 2:33 PM
Tagcloud is rendered as a unordered list of links with class names "biggest"-to-"smallest". CSS is responsible for making it look like a cloud. I guess whoever runs that site decided they wanted just a list instead of a cloud...?
Jul 26, 2008 at 6:12 PM
I run that site but i never made any changes to any css file. It would be a great help if you could tell what i could to get the cloud back isntead of the list.

Bharat Mudgal
Jul 27, 2008 at 3:37 PM
Edited Jul 27, 2008 at 3:42 PM
I just fixed it for you. That should give you a clue as to what was broken.

It ought also to tell you something rather more important! I changed the default admin password so you're now safe from everyone but me. I suggest that you delete that account once you've made sure that your own account has all required privileges.
Jul 28, 2008 at 3:30 AM

Thanks for your help and also for pointing out that I forgot to delete the default account :)

What you did was change the theme, but when i changed it back to Indigo theme... the tags are still a list! I think i should try and compare the tag generator code in the themes.

Jul 28, 2008 at 9:15 AM
Yeah, sorry about that ;-) I did go and recheck my own also!

My point was that the problem's in your theme somewhere, not in BE.

I did look first at the CSS and there are some bits missing. You could debug it that way, but that's not always the easiest way. You may find it easier to create your own theme step by step from a copy of the standard theme. Note that this has changed a lot with 1.4 - the templates and the styles are pretty much all different. Personally I'd start from a clean copy of the standard theme, and then modify it step by step. At each stage I'd check to see if the things you want have been broken. Eventually you'll find what it was which broke the cloud, so reverse that step and then you've found the problem.
Jul 28, 2008 at 5:41 PM

Just put the default stylesheet's css code into you indigo (or custom) theme's css file:

.tagcloud {
.tagcloud LI {
 DISPLAY: inline
.tagcloud A {
.tagcloud A.biggest {
 FONT-SIZE: 19px
.tagcloud A.big {
 FONT-SIZE: 17px
.tagcloud A.medium {
 FONT-SIZE: 14px
.tagcloud A.small {
 FONT-SIZE: 12px
.tagcloud A.smallest {
 FONT-SIZE: 10px
Jul 30, 2008 at 1:41 AM
The problem with the Indigo theme is that tagcloud in the CSS is treated as if it were an ID, but it should be a class.

Just open the style.css file inside themes\Indigo folder, search for tagcloud and change all the #tagcloud to .tagcloud

Problem solved.