Integrating BE into existing site and multiple sitemaps

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Aug 26, 2008 at 2:40 PM
I am building a website and looking to integrate BlogEngine.NET into it instead of having it be the site. The website would be like and BE would be at . When I tried to add Web.sitemap for the website I had already set up BE. Because of this I got a warning that Web.sitemap already existed. I could just give the overall sitemap a different name. I am also somewhat new to .NET.  What I am wondering is, is it proper to have 2 sitemaps, will it cause problems, and is there a better way to handle this when integrating BE.

Also are there other duplicate things that need to be handled a certain way? For example web.config, master pages etc.
Aug 27, 2008 at 4:16 AM
I use a sitemap index on my website that has a similar construction to the website your describing.

In my root directory, I have a file called sitemap_index.xml.  The format is describe at: about half way down the page.  Then at the top of my robots.txt file,  I included the sitemap keyword:  Sitemap:   

Hope this helps.
Aug 27, 2008 at 7:37 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2008 at 9:35 PM
I was not talking about the the type of site map as defined by I am talking about them as they are used by .

Also, I am asking about the sitemap question in relation to a bigger question. Can BlogEngine.NET be integrated into an existing site? Or is your only option to keep the BlogEngine files totally separate from the regular site and use virtual directories to make them appear under the same domain (e.g. and ).
Aug 28, 2008 at 10:14 AM
The short answer is yes you can have multiple sitemaps and yes you can integrate BE into an existing or new web application. There have been many posts on the latter subject that you can find by searching the discussions. Post back up if you can't find what your looking for and hopefully someone will be able to answer a more specific question. I personally have chosen to keep BE seperate in a virtual directory only for ease of upgrade. Take a look at the theming procedure also to give you an idea of how the BE parts are actually used on pages.

To configure multiple sitemaps you will need to name them and set their properties for your menus, sitemappaths, etc.
  <!-- other configuration sections -->
    <!-- other configuration sections -->
    <siteMap defaultProvider="XmlSiteMapProvider">
         siteMapFile="~/Company1/Company1.sitemap" />
         siteMapFile="~/Company2/Company2.sitemap" />
Aug 29, 2008 at 4:33 PM
Well hear is one integration problem I ran into right off that bat. In my main website ( ) I placed a stylesheet at App_Themes/Standard/screen.css . Now that I did that, when I load up the blog ( ) I get the following errors:

Parser Error Message: Theme 'Standard' cannot be found in the application or global theme directories.

Line 37:         </customErrors>
Line 38:         -->
Line 39:       <pages theme="Standard" />
Line 40:     </system.web>
Line 41:   <>

How would I get around this?

Aug 29, 2008 at 5:45 PM
Edited Aug 29, 2008 at 5:55 PM
Edit the BE web.config and override the parent web.config with a blank theme property.
Find the "pages" property and add "theme=""".

<pages enableSessionState="false" enableViewStateMac="true" enableEventValidation="true" theme="">
    <add namespace="Controls" tagPrefix="blog"/>

Aug 29, 2008 at 6:55 PM
Well that got rid of the errors when I load up the blog - but is there a way to make the blog use the same stylesheet as the rest of my site? My regular style sheet is at /App_Themes/Standard/screen.css.
Aug 29, 2008 at 8:03 PM
You would need to create a custom theme for BE that matches your main site. I don't really know how much has changed for 1.4 but Al Nyveldt did an excellent webcast on how to create a custom theme. Have a look at