Blog posts taking a long time to save. Slow Admin Dashboard

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer
Mar 4, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I know some of you are also experiencing similar issues but in my case I'm hosting on my own server running IIS7.5

My BE is: BlogEngine.NET and basically the admin area is very very slow, especially the dashboard homepage and on saving a blog

For some reason it's now takes 5 to 20 minutes to save a blog post. 

I've tried the following with no impremovements:

• Disabled http compression
  • Disabled webresource.axd compression

The below are some info that may perhaps give some clues:

• My domain does run through GoDaddy but my windows servers are not with them.
  • I have a high number of users over 40k - when I hit the Admin Dashboard the process for sql server shoots right up for a while.
    Does the amount of people in the database have an effect on the time it takes to save a blog post by any chance?
  • The exact same website code running on a dev database instance is very fast, blog saves are instant.
  • I am using XML provider but only have 177 posts, my development instance also has the same posts but was able to do instant saves.
  • Server environment is Windows 2008 R2 with IIS7.5

Hope someone can help

Many thanks in advance 

Mar 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM

With 40,000 users, that could be related to the slowness.  Has it always been slow, or just recently?

You're using the XML provider for blog data, but are you using SQL Server for membership/roles?  Wondering why the SQL Server process shows high CPU when you are using the XML provider.

You could try either (a) temporarily removing all those users, or (b) adding all those users to your DEV environment.  And then see if it makes a difference.  For option (a), depending on what tables you have, you could temporarily rename the Users table to a temporary name, and then create a new table with the correct table name that contains just a few users.

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:17 AM

Thanks for your reply Ben,

just to clarify I was using sql for membership and xml for posts and pages

So the culprit was the large number of users in the end and was due to the author dropdown in the create blog post page.

It was loading all 40k users each time the page was loaded as it assumed everyone in db could be a user so I just changed the dropdown population slightly.

I'm actually using BE as a membership site which isn't what it was originally intended for but it does the job quite well.  Maybe this can be considered and roles can be assigned to control the population of the Author dropdownlist in the future.

Thank once more and best regards, case closed

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I am also facing similar issue. Posts take a lot of time to save. The site gives no response for about a minutes or so.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:20 AM

rpk2006, do you also have 40,000 users?  Is anything else on the site slow?  For example, if you create a Page in the control panel, or Save settings, or if you add a comment to a blog post .... is all of that fast?  What version of BE are you running?  Do you have a lot of data?  Is it only new posts where it's slow, or is it also slow when you update an existing post?  Are you using the Newsletter widget?

It could be one of the extensions that runs when you save a post that is taking a while.  For example, if you are using the Newsletter widget, it sends out emails to all the people when you create a new post.  Other extensions may be running when you save a post.  If you've added any custom extensions, you might want to try temporarily disabling them.

Mar 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM

I have only a couple of posts (may be 10). I recently hosted the latest version of BE. I don't have many users as I hosted three days back.

Both new posts and updates of existing are slow. I am not using Newsletter widget however it appears on my page as a default theme component. I am using Standard Theme.