how do you turn on captcha in BlogEngine.Net 2.0?

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0
Apr 13, 2012 at 6:25 PM

The release notes for BE 2.0 say it includes captcha support, but I'm not seeing where to turn this feature on.  Anyone?

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Ok, I found where to turn on the recaptcha, however, after turning it on it didn't appear on the comment page.  I then noticed that there is a commented submit button that calls "validateWithRecaptcha()" just below the active submit button, so I uncommented it but it doesn't work.

Does the captcha just not work?

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2012 at 6:51 PM

It is for 1.6.1 but most still applies: enabling recaptcha. Make sure you have "simple captcha" disabled, if both enabled only simple captcha will show up.

Apr 13, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Simplecaptcha is disabled, and when I attempt to enable REcaptcha I get the message: changes will not be applied:  access to the path '....web.config' is denied.

Added the apppool account as well as the website account used for the credentials to the Administrators group;  then verified that Administrators have Full Control over web.config - still no go.

This must be an IIS "safety".  Is there a way to manual make the changes to web.config?

Coordinator
Apr 13, 2012 at 7:48 PM

You don't need to make changes to web.config, it just trying to restart IIS after extension enabled by updating time stamp on web.config (which forces IIS to restart). You can manually restart IIS or just wait for app pool to recycle itself. Just make sure when you reload admin page recaptcha shows up in "enabled" list.