The type initializer for 'BlogEngine.Core.BlogSettings' threw an exception.

May 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Edited May 8, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Hi,

I’m hosting at Godaddy and all of a sudden I now get the following error: I haven’t touched the site for weeks but of course Godaddy say it’s a problem with my code.

<add name="XmlMembershipProvider" type="BlogEngine.Core.Providers.XmlMembershipProvider, BlogEngine.Core" description="XML membership provider" passwordFormat="Hashed"/> 

Does anyone know what that may be?

Cheers,

Mike.

May 9, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Mike,

Is that the error?  Comes up on a yellow screen with the XmlMembershipProvider in it?

Possibly just "touching" the web.config will get your app online.  It may just want to be restarted.  Add a space to the web.config and save it.

Also, have any new users been added?  Any possible permission changes on your /app_data folders?  Does users.xml load okay?

Good luck,
Dave

May 9, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Thanks Dave,

yes it is an error on the yellow page of death! I tried touching the web.config but still the same error.

When you say, does the users.xml file load, what do you mean by that. there have been some changes to that file lately, but it all worked fine afterwards until now. If I try to view the users.xml file in a browser, I get a 404 error, but I think that is a .NET thing to prevent App_Data files being viewed in a browser???

The site works fine locally, so I uploaded the whole thing again to a new directory but that also gave me the error.

Help! Cheers,

Mike.

May 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM
Edited May 9, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Mike,

You're right about the 404/app_data issue.  I forgot about that, but the question I had was if the users.xml or profile.xml files might have been corrupt.  You could copy them to a /blog/tmp directory and load them that way.  You could, of course, view them outside of a browser, but the browser would catch any deformed XML.  Also curious is the permissions on the files or /app_data might have been changed.

I googled "blogengine.net XmlMembershipProvider error" and retrieved a number of hits.  Didn't have time to go through many of them, but perhaps you'll get some info from them.

Good luck,
Dave

May 10, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Thanks again Dave,

I had exhausted all my Google options before posting here and could not find anything specific to the error I’m having. It just no longer works.

I’ve uploaded it three times now to no avail I now have two options, 1, try it on another server at a different hosting company or 2, build a new site myself from scratch, which I should have done in the first place. I was trying to save time by using BE, but every time I do it causes me headaches down the road!

Cheers,

Mike.

May 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Mike,

I'm sorry for your experience with BlogEngine.NET.  I hope you don't take away a negative impression of BE.NET because of this, though that's understandable.  It's a fantastic app, and I know for a fact that the developers on the BE Core Team are the best you'll find anywhere.  If the blame lies anywhere, it should most likely be on GoDaddy.  I don't like bad-mouthing anyone, but let's just say there's a long history of GoDaddy-specific issues with applications I observed over the years. If you MUST stay on GoDaddy, why don't you consider using the SQL database provider.  I have BE sites using both, but plan on moving all of them to SQL, though I've had absolutely NO issues with the XML Provider over the 5 years I've been using BE.NET.

Hope you find a quick solution.

-Dave

May 14, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Thanks for your help Dave.

Yes the guys at BE are great developers but I’m no spring chicken, in the 15 years or building websites I have gathered one very important piece of knowledge. “Never use somebody else’s code!” It may save you time in the short term but it WILL cause you problems down the track.

Quick solution was, total re-build in MVC, took me four very intensive days, it looks exactly the same to the user but it’s all mine!

Cheers,

Mike.

May 14, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Mike,

One word, wow!  

No, I'd say you're not a spring chicken if you can do that. :-)

Good luck!
Dave 

May 15, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Hi Dave.

…lol. Not as flash as you think, I had already built a blog in MVC a while back and when I say “don’t use other peoples code”,  I use TinyMCE. My problem here is in my time I jumped from Classic ASP straight to MVC with about an eight month Webform gap. I was a diehard Classic ASP programmer and thought if it aint broke!

If I had known at the time that there was an option, I would gone with the SQL version. So I’m not bagging on BE, just XmlMembershipProviders…lol.

Take care and good luck to you also!

Cheers,

Mike.