Creating Blogs - v26 - SQL Provider - Templates?

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:52 PM

This is a new BE26 install.  SQL Provider.  Ran the MSSQLSetup2.6.0.0.sql to setup.  Have used both XML and SQL Providers, but multiple blogs only with XML Providers.  When creating a new blog I'm used to seeing a Templates blog to select from.  

Here's a screenshot of what I'm seeing when creating a blog.  No Templates.  Is that standard with the SQL Provider?  

Probably doesn't make a difference, but I'm using the Web Application source.

http://sueetie.com/x/a/2012/beTemplate0614.png

Thanks,
Dave 

Coordinator
Jun 16, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Yes, this is an issue.  It would be ideal if we included data for a Template blog.

In my 2nd post in this Discussion, one suggestion I had to the person was to basically re-run the INSERT statements in the SQL setup script so it populates data in the DB tables for a new Template blog instance.  Or at the bottom of that post, another approach I thought of would be that if your current/main blog instance doesn't have too much data in it, you could create a new blog instance off of your main blog instance using the normal UI, name the new blog "Template", and then go into that blog instance and delete all of the data (Posts, Pages, etc).  Or you could delete this data directly in SQL Management Studio too.

It might be more ideal if we included a separate SQL file that would populate all of the data needed for a Template blog instance.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Ben,

Thank you for your thoughts and confirming what I was concluding about the lack of a template.  I'm migrating a multi-blog XML File Provider site to SQL Provider and went with a heavy SQL script approach.  Nothing pretty or as automatic like Al's Provider Migration tool, but it's a sure thing for v2.6 and multiple blogs.  I'll be documenting it soon.  

Now that have a working script and know that I'll need a template going forward it shouldn't be a big deal at all to assemble the script that will create an empty blog template.  I'll post back here when that's complete.

Thanks,
Dave

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Following up on my promise to assemble a script to create a Template Blog as a supplement to the BE.NET 2.6 MSSQL Setup Script.  A link to the Zipped script is below.  As I said in the script notes, I'm not promising the script is complete for all environments, but I used it with Sueetie and did a good bit of testing with it.  I used it to create several new blogs without problems.

Let me know if there are any issues or questions.  You'll find the script at Sueetie.com.

Thanks,
-Dave

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Thanks Dave ... for making up for our laziness!  I took a quick look and it looks like the SQL might even be compatible with some of the other DB types we support.  If so, that makes it a little easier for us to use the same script for those DB types.