How to modify BlogEngine to get data from WebService instead of direct database connection for the blog stuff?

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Jun 29, 2012 at 12:31 AM

HI,

I have a little challenge that I can't seem to overcome. I like to use BlogEngine in my project as part of the site. The issue is the SQL database is on another server.  The site can only obtain data from the database via web service calls.  Seeing that BlogEngine needs direct access to the database for the blog's data, I don't know how I can use BlogEngine in my site.  Can someone please help me or point in the right direction as to how I can solve this?

Is there a business class that makes all the add/delete/select that I can modify to call web service calls instead?

Thank you.

Coordinator
Jun 29, 2012 at 5:30 AM

BlogEngine uses XML data provider out of the box, all data saved to the file system. You don't have to use database unless you really need it (webfarm environment etc).

Jul 9, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Thank you, rtur.  I realize that BE uses XML but wouldn't there be a performance issues with the XML data store eventually or if there are too many hits on the site at once?  Please advise.

Thank you again

Coordinator
Jul 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Most of the data cached or saved in-memory, so you unlikely run into issues with performance unless your blog got many thousands of posts. And we do have services you can use, but they not organized into consistent API and were created for AJAX calls on as needed basis, so some of the functionality is missing. You can look at /admin/admin.js to find .asmx calls, but I'm not sure you'll be able to use them cross-domain without tweaking security.

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Thank you again, rtur. From the sound of it, I may have to create an entire blog from scratch if performance does become a concern.  LOL.  Any other suggestions or where I can learn to make a blog that will access data over web services? :D