Subdomain issue

Oct 2, 2008 at 6:46 PM
I'm not sure if this is a server issue or BlogEngine issue.

I have a forward thing going on so that www.REofficeBlog.com goes to a subfolder /blog on my site, www.quantumlasermanagerment.com.  It doesn't work.  I get an error.

I also assigned a subdomain to blog.quantumlasermanagement.com  to the same folder /blog but that goes to the main site, not the folder.

There was a discussion that included using www subdomain policy (which i can find nothing about what that really means)
I set it to ignore...same results, to enforce...same results.

If this is a BlogEngine issue, is there something I should knw?

Thanks, again.
Oct 17, 2008 at 4:15 AM
I am also having a subdomain issue with BE for my subdomain blog.mattdunn.us

Help!

Could not find a part of the path 'D:\hshome\mattdunn\App_Data\settings.xml'.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:10 PM
Edited Oct 17, 2008 at 9:21 PM
Matt the file path should read  blog.mattdunn.us\App_Data\settings.xml 
I would start by  seeing why the path is pointing to an actual Drive instead of a Web location.

with this D:\hshome\mattdunn looks like it looking at a local drive for the App_Data folder.

Have you made any modifications to the Blog Engine before uploading it to the server?
If not, Something might have gotten messed up with the upload.

I would try deleting all the web files and try a new upload and also make sure that you have Write  access to the App_Date folder.
If you don't know how to do this contact your Hosting Company and they should be able to help.

However I would not suggest putting the Blogengine in a sub-domain; i would but it in a Virtual Directory under the main domain.
You can Check out my site at  http://www.extensiveseo.com/ and you will see that the BlogEngine is running in a Vitual Directory at :
http://www.extensiveseo.com/blog/

This method has many benefits in terms of SEO.

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:32 AM
cdpitcock - Depending on what method of forwarding you are using it may definately well cause path issues. You'll want to make sure you have created a virtual directory at /blog at the least, then post your errors.
The subdomain policy is for seo purposes. it will either add or strip www (or ignore) to the typed url. Search engines see www.domain.com and domain.com as seperate websites. Using one of the subdomain policies it will always be seen as one. IE if I type www.domain.com and I have the policy to remove then my returned url changes to domain.com via a 301 redirect.
Jan 5, 2009 at 5:13 PM
See related discussion in a different thread.