Issues Saving Basic Settings

Topics: Business Logic Layer
Jul 17, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Just installed BE 2.6. I can create posts, and save my profile info but im having a problem saving the basic settings page.

Also :

Since im an administrator shouldnt I see all users after creating several of them? That is not displaying for me. I must have something fouled up.

Im certain I have write privilages set up or else I would not be able to save posts. ???

Any ideas as to why the basic settings will not save and the users are not displaying?

Thank you!

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:14 PM

When you saving setting - do you get green message on top of the screen or it show yellow error message? Also I'm assuming you are using default XML provider - open app_data folder and make sure your saved post is there and not just saved in the memory. There should be no difference between saving post and settings as far as I know. And also - does it not save just basic settings or any settings?

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM

I get no user feedback at all, No green or Yellow message bar. Other pages do give me the Green Message Bar when saving data.

Yes im using the default XML Provider. Just checked the app_data folder and under the post directory, I see my saved post.

Looks like it will not save any of the basic settings from the page.

I am using 4.0, Setup BlogEngine.Web as an application, full read write perms are set to the app_data folder. Cant see why it wont save the basic settings......Any other ideas? Hosted on

Jul 17, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2012 at 8:23 PM

It does ajax call on save, you can use firebug or F12 in IE to see why it is not getting through. There got to be some kind of error when it is called. And just to clarify - other settings saved fine and only basic settings cause trouble, right? Because I'm still not sure if your settings.xml gets updated or not.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Edited Jul 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Yes other settings saved fine and only Basic settings were causing trouble.

I used IE9 F12 and saw an error on the json/ajax saveSettings funtion. I fired up Google Chrome and tested again and there were no problems! No Error and the Basic Settings saved. I went back to IE9 and turned off Compatibility setting and tested and it worked without flaw Settings Saved! Turned on Compatibility setting and had the same issue, would not save the basic settings.

Very interesting, I suspect it has something to do with Ajax and IE9 being in Compatible mode. Not sure what the fix would be but if you have any ideas, Im all for it.

Jul 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Here is the code and error i received.

SCRIPT1028: Expected identifier, string or number
Main.aspx, line 143 character 4

function SaveSettings() {
            var dto = {
    "name": $("[id$='_txtName']").val(),
    "desc": $("[id$='_txtDescription']").val(),
    "postsPerPage": $("[id$='_txtPostsPerPage']").val(),
    "themeCookieName": $("[id$='_txtThemeCookieName']").val(),
    "useBlogNameInPageTitles": $("[id$='_cbUseBlogNameInPageTitles']").attr('checked'),
    "enableRelatedPosts": $("[id$='_cbShowRelatedPosts']").attr('checked'),
    "enableRating": $("[id$='_cbEnableRating']").attr('checked'),
    "showDescriptionInPostList": oShowDescChkBox.attr('checked'),
    "descriptionCharacters": $("input", oDescCharContainer).val(),
    "showDescriptionInPostListForPostsByTagOrCategory": oShowDescTagCatChkBox.attr('checked'),
    "descriptionCharactersForPostsByTagOrCategory": $("input", oDescCharTagCatContainer).val(),
    "timeStampPostLinks": $("[id$='_cbTimeStampPostLinks']").attr('checked'),
    "showPostNavigation": $("[id$='_cbShowPostNavigation']").attr('checked'),
    "culture": $("[id$='_ddlCulture']").val(),
    "timezone": $("[id$='_txtTimeZone']").val(),
                "enableQuickNotes": $("[id$='_cbEnableQuickNotes']").attr('checked'),
HERE IS LINE 143--------> };
                url: SiteVars.ApplicationRelativeWebRoot + "admin/Settings/Main.aspx/Save",
                type: "POST",
                dataType: "json",
                contentType: "application/json; charset=utf-8",
                data: JSON.stringify(dto),
                beforeSend: onAjaxBeforeSend,
                success: function (result) {
                    var rt = result.d;
                    if (rt.Success)
                        ShowStatus("success", rt.Message);
                        ShowStatus("warning", rt.Message);
            return false;

Jul 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM

ALSO: When im in Compatibility View with IE9, logged in as Admin, I can not see any users. If I take it out of Compatibility View, then I can see the users. Can someone verify that this is happening to them as well or is it just on my machine.

Using BE 2.6.0

Jul 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM

We did few IE related fixes lately, for example we found that in IE7 and 8 using ".delete" as class name conflicted with jQuery causing similar to what you describing. If you are using (latest release) you may try latest dev build instead (source code tab). It surely works in IE9 for me. You'd need to build source code though, let me know if you need help with that. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I am also having the same issue except I am running the site locally and in IE9 ... I have issues with the following just trying to get the site going.

Users: I can add a user but the users do not display in the users pane. I can log in and log out with the new account so I know that the user account is created. I just cannot see them in the display. Oddly enough it displays Roles on the roles tab correctly just not users.

Settings: I cannot save any of the settings. I get no confirmation that there has been an error. Other pages give me the green bar that indicate success.

Everything appears to run correctly in Firefox. Hoever, it makes it a little tepid to deploy this if I am unsure whether or not other features will/will not work in IE9.

I am using the latest download of BlogEngine.NET 2.6.05.