How to integrate BE into existing site?

Oct 8, 2008 at 9:09 PM
Hi, I would like to integrate BlogEngine into my existing site, but I ran into this error.

"It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."

I have blogEngine in its own folder, and I have configured that folder as an application in IIS 5.1.

Ex: Folder Structure

[Root]
  - Images
  - CSS
  - BlogEngine
         *  All BlogEngine Files and Folders
  - default.aspx
  - web.config
  - global.asax

I am currently working off my local test server.Thanks!

Oct 8, 2008 at 11:47 PM
Start off with creating a virtual directory at the BlogEngine folder in IIS. You may then encounter further errors if your root web.config has any conflicts with the BE web.config. You can safely override these in the BE web.config or stop most of the inheritance from the parent config. Search the term "inheritInChildApplications" for more info on doing this.
Oct 9, 2008 at 12:59 AM
I sort of got it working by placing the blog in the root as opposed to having it as a sub folder. I then kind of merged my site, and web.config together and it mostly works. I ran into a problem with redirects, say for example when I try to log into the admin area using admin/admin as username and password it redirects to. http://www.site.com/admin which brings up a page not found error.

Does anyone have any experience with running the BlogEngine as your main site (i.e not as a sub folder) and working out redirect problems? Thanks!
Oct 9, 2008 at 1:06 AM
The easiest way to run it as your main site will be to create a custom theme that matches your site then create the actual pages within BE using "pages".
The subfolder is really an easy way to go once you get passsed a few small hurdles and will make upgrading to future versions much easier than a true integration to an existing site.
Oct 9, 2008 at 1:10 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look into the "pages" feature. I would like to run it as a sub folder, but for my setup I don't think it's possible since I want my site to default to the blog page (i.e www.site.com ). If I have it in a sub folder wouldn't my homepage have to be (www.site.com/blogengine/)? Thanks!
Jul 18, 2009 at 4:53 AM

Here is how you can integrate BlogEngine BE into existing site, this description is in dept including the changes you need to make in web.config file,
http://www.ajaymatharu.com/2009/07/07/integrating-blogengine-into-an-existing-site/
hope this helps.