Blogengine 2.6 upgraded from 2.5 cant edit widgets

Topics: ASP.NET 2.0, Business Logic Layer, Controls
Jul 26, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I've done the upgrade to 2.6 from 2.5.. suddenly i cant edit any widgets.. I cant add new ones.. the popups or edit boxes dont open on clicking the gear icon or the pencil etc.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:55 PM
markm75 wrote:

I've done the upgrade to 2.6 from 2.5.. suddenly i cant edit any widgets.. I cant add new ones.. the popups or edit boxes dont open on clicking the gear icon or the pencil etc.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks

I used web developer to look for errors, best i can see is this one:

blogengengine.widgetadmin is undefined

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I am having the exact same problem.  Any solutions?

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:39 PM
AdamDrummond wrote:

I am having the exact same problem.  Any solutions?

I'm still digging into it more.. trying to debug further.. so far no luck.

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:59 PM
markm75 wrote:
AdamDrummond wrote:

I am having the exact same problem.  Any solutions?

I'm still digging into it more.. trying to debug further.. so far no luck.

Its rather odd, as if i create a sub directory, turn it into a subsite of my main blogengine site, copy the 2.6 code over... it works.. but if i use ftp, try to copy and overwrite my files in the main site with the ones "working", the site looks ok, but it breaks the widget admin stuff.  So either its a permissions thing, or some extra file is hosing something up

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Do all the folders have the same permission values set? What are the set to?

Jul 26, 2012 at 9:52 PM
AdamDrummond wrote:

Do all the folders have the same permission values set? What are the set to?

do you mean the app_data folder?

I have system and IIS_USR set to full control..

 

I tried just clearing out all the folders/files from the site, then taking that working subdirectory files and putting them in place.. once they were there, the admin widget buttons failed to work yet again.

I guess this is permissions related somehow.

When you click a widget administrative icon, it throws a pound symbol at the end of the address instead of doing the popup for administration of the widget.

Coordinator
Jul 26, 2012 at 10:07 PM

If this is related to permissions, you can take a look at this post to find out who needs write permissions. On local IIS it is usually easy to just open IIS, check what app pool set for your site and what identity runs this pool. It usually "network service" or "ApplicationPoolIdentity", but can be whatever IIS admin decides it to be. In shared hosting if you don't have access to IIS, you can try to upload page that will programmatically verify and display identity and permissions.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I am on shared hosting.  I will have to try and use a page to find identity and permissions.

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2012 at 10:34 PM
rtur wrote:

If this is related to permissions, you can take a look at this post to find out who needs write permissions. On local IIS it is usually easy to just open IIS, check what app pool set for your site and what identity runs this pool. It usually "network service" or "ApplicationPoolIdentity", but can be whatever IIS admin decides it to be. In shared hosting if you don't have access to IIS, you can try to upload page that will programmatically verify and display identity and permissions.

In my case its on hostgator, in the parallels panel, file manager area..

At first glance things seem mostly correct, particularly for app_data

 

Plesk IIS user (IUSR_name) is set to full control.

System is at full control

There is also Plesk IIS WP user (full) and Plesk Domain user at full control.

I think the account that matters is the IIS WPD one and it seems ok.

 

 

Not sure out of the plesks which is the one that matters.

 

You would think, if i just moved my test working subdomain into the root where things werent working, that it would just work, but for some reason it didnt (i first removed all files from the root too).

Jul 26, 2012 at 10:49 PM

So i took it a step further.. i pointed the existing domain in the hosting panel to that of the "working" one.. 

The widgets still failed to work.

So apparently there may be some sort of hosting configuration issue going on with my main domain.. or maybe the app pool needs reset etc.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:19 PM
Edited Jul 26, 2012 at 11:24 PM
markm75 wrote:

So i took it a step further.. i pointed the existing domain in the hosting panel to that of the "working" one.. 

The widgets still failed to work.

So apparently there may be some sort of hosting configuration issue going on with my main domain.. or maybe the app pool needs reset etc.

Though i still think a clue is the error that is triggered on clicking edit widget:  blogengine.widgetadmin is undefined

I think its originating from the /Scripts/jsauth.js file

This error doesnt occur on the "working one"

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Is it a mapping issue because it's not in the Root?  Mines in the root and it does not work.  I have been at work so I haven't been able to try throwing it into a sub directory.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM
AdamDrummond wrote:

Is it a mapping issue because it's not in the Root?  Mines in the root and it does not work.  I have been at work so I haven't been able to try throwing it into a sub directory.

I dont know in my case, as "Dev" is just another folder in the tree, as opposed to httpdocs, which is also in the tree (not a subfolder)..

While when it works, it works as a subdomain  dev.domain.com for instance.. but pointing domain.com to dev folder does not work.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:28 PM
markm75 wrote:
markm75 wrote:

So i took it a step further.. i pointed the existing domain in the hosting panel to that of the "working" one.. 

The widgets still failed to work.

So apparently there may be some sort of hosting configuration issue going on with my main domain.. or maybe the app pool needs reset etc.

Though i still think a clue is the error that is triggered on clicking edit widget:  blogengine.widgetadmin is undefined

I think its originating from the /Scripts/jsauth.js file

This error doesnt occur on the "working one"

actually, in the raw code this is in admin/widget.js

Jul 27, 2012 at 3:28 AM
markm75 wrote:
markm75 wrote:
markm75 wrote:

So i took it a step further.. i pointed the existing domain in the hosting panel to that of the "working" one.. 

The widgets still failed to work.

So apparently there may be some sort of hosting configuration issue going on with my main domain.. or maybe the app pool needs reset etc.

Though i still think a clue is the error that is triggered on clicking edit widget:  blogengine.widgetadmin is undefined

I think its originating from the /Scripts/jsauth.js file

This error doesnt occur on the "working one"

actually, in the raw code this is in admin/widget.js

My hosting provider was able to help.. that working test subdomain/folder.. they copied the contents using their methods to the root where things were amuck.. once they did this, the widget edit functions worked again

Perhaps in my case something didnt copy quite right using their file manager system.

Coordinator
Jul 27, 2012 at 5:04 AM

Cool, glad you were able sort it out.

Sep 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I had a similar problem after upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6. I solved it by deleting some old .js files in my \script\ and \script\jQuery folders.

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:10 PM
RyWalters wrote:

I had a similar problem after upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6. I solved it by deleting some old .js files in my \script\ and \script\jQuery folders.

Do you know what files you deleted?

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:18 AM
I don't know the filenames, but the files were easily identifiable because they all had modified dates prior to the 2.6 upgrade.





From: [email removed]
To: [email removed]
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:10:09 -0700
Subject: Re: Blogengine 2.6 upgraded from 2.5 cant edit widgets [blogengine:389162]

From: AdamDrummond
RyWalters wrote:
I had a similar problem after upgrading from 2.5 to 2.6. I solved it by deleting some old .js files in my \script\ and \script\jQuery folders.
Do you know what files you deleted?
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email blogengine@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com