Pulling profile info from AD

Jul 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I am in the process of configuring BlogEngine.Net to be used as the main blog engine for our corporate intranet.   I have successfully changed the default role provider to use the AD role provider.   I also need to be able to pull the profile data from AD.   Before I start down the road of recoding the profile layer does any one have any suggestions?   Has this already been done and available on CodePlex?

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2012 at 3:08 PM

You might take a look at this project.

Jul 30, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortunately I don't believe I was clear in my opening post.  I have already implemented the project that you referenced as the role provider.  The crux of my issue is that I do not want users to have to maintain their profile in BlogEngine.net but rather pull it dynamically from AD.  Looking over the code at BlogEngine.Core.AuthorProfile it does not appear the profile are designed so that a new profile provider can easily be introduced via config file.  

My quick and dirty approach is going to be to edit the BlogEngine.Core.AuthorProfile so that all of the elements are pulled from AD rather than the database.

Coordinator
Jul 30, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Yes, looks like profile joint with blog provider, unlike roles and membership. You probably need to subclass blog provider with your own profile implementation or just modify profile methods directly (look at core/providers/xmlprovider/profile.cs for a list of methods involved).