Enable Basic Authentication To Subfolder in 2.5.0.6

Topics: Controls
Aug 3, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Can anyone tell me how to turn on IIS Basic Authentication in a subfolder that's not part of the BE app? For example, if I have a folder named www.domain.net/restricted how do I make the restricted folder password protected? I know how to do it in IIS, and it works on any other site that I have on my server, but not in the BE installation folder.

Aug 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Let me give a little more history as to what's going on. I host my own install of BE, and on my previous server I never had this issue. I think I have the server set up the way that it was on the old server's configuration. Now, on this new server build (I'm using IIS 7.5 and BE 2.5.0.6), I'm getting this issue. Here's what I've done.

I've turned off Annonymous Authentication on the directory I want to protect and enabled Basic Authentication. Annonymous users can still view the folder and the pages without being prompted for username and password. However, if I remove the web.config file (I rename it to web.config.original) from the BE root then Basic Authentication works properly. Is BE performing authentication on all of the folders now? How can I tell BE not to perform user authentication on that subdirectory? On my old server I never had to have a web.config file in that protected directory, even with BE 2.5.0.6, so I don't see why I would need it now and I can't figure out what's going on.