Multiple Blogs on Shared Hosting Issue

Aug 9, 2012 at 5:06 AM

Hello everyone, BE noob here :)

I've installed the latest BE on my shared windows hosting account, and I have added a secondary blog. I have separate domains for the separate blogs, so neither of them have a virtual directory set. In my domain configuration both domains point to the /blogengine subdirectory which contains the installation. Now, my hosting provider does not offer real access to IIS, so i can only assume that it is set up properly.

The issue i have is that the URL of my secondary domain comes up with the contents of my primary blog. However, the URL of the primary domain does correctly show the primary content. So, i have two domains that display the same BE primary blog content.

Clearly, I am missing something. Any thoughts?

Great job, by the way, to all of you who contribute to this project. It looks great and I am excited to begin working with BE!

Thanks

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Hi again, thought I might bump this up.

Still have not resolved the issue, but I have more info to share.

The problem: multiple domains return the same blog content when I expect them to return diiferent blogs. For instance,

domain1.com - primary blog - correctly diplays domain1 blog content
domain2.com - secondary blog - INCORRECTLY displays domain1 blog content
domain2.com/blogengine - for some reason this DOES correctly display domain2 blog content although the blog is configured without a virtual directory specified.

In the domain registration control panel both domains, domain1.com and domain2.com, point to the BE install folder /blogengine. The IIS application pool lists the /blogengine directory and the /domain2 subdirectory corresponding to the storage container name of the secondary blog. No physical directory matching /domain2 exists.

Would really appreciate some advice/insight on this. Thanks!

Dec 25, 2012 at 6:33 AM
Edited Dec 25, 2012 at 7:23 AM

My solution was to remove all websites / blogs from your IIS except the primary one, primary domain.

Then in the primary website that you want to use as the parent you need to add the additional site Bindings for the other domains.

I think if this was in the documentation it would be quite helpful.